Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for a Disneyland vacation??

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM
  • 9 Replies
We are planning to take the kids, 8 and 5, to Disneyland in October around fall break. Does anyone have any advice to share, maybe a hotel you loved or hated, or how many days is enough to spend there? This is our first big family vacation and we are driving from Oklahoma to California with a stop in Arizona for my kids to meet their great grandparents. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TimandMely4ever
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM

We took our kids to Disney World last year and we wish we'd have known then what we know now!  DO NOT buy your tickets ahead of time!  There are places there all along the way that sell tickets at a fraction of the cost and they work just fine!  If you do purchase your tickets ahead, or if you already have.  You can actually take your tickets with "unused days" and sell them to these "vendors".  It would have saved us a ton of money!  Also, we rented a 4-bedroom home for the entire week!  It had a stocked kitchen, washer and dryer, game room, 2-car garage, TV's in all rooms, and our own private, in-ground pool with a fence right off our back patio!  We stayed for 8 days and 7 nights and we only paid $520!!!!  

collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Do fast passes when you get there - especially for the long-line rides (toy story, etc)

Get the duo/park hopper tickets - for both California adventure & Disneyland - they are right next to each other & you can go to both parks.

Alcohol is served in California adventure but not in Disney (we made the mistake of doing Cali adventure then going to Disneyland for dinner - DH wanted to chill with a beer but ended up with no beer & major crowds)

If you can, do rides instead of the fireworks - DH & I went Pre-kids 3 years ago. We went on 4 rides from 12-7....fireworks started at 9, we did 5 rides from 9-10 at Disney.

You spend most of your day in line unless you go on a week day when others are in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I've never been.

LuvingRN
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Ok...I've been to Disneyland 3 or 4 times this year already :)  We have the annual pass!

Just so you know, October will be slightly busy but not as busy as the summer months.  A lot of schools have a fall break and head there during October.

In the past, I have found that it is cheaper to purchase hotel and tickets seperately.  I've always bought the e-tickets online from the Disneyland website.  I don't know if there is anyone that sells unused days on tix like a previous poster says, but if it saves you money and is legit, go for it.

My first question is...how important is the hotel to you?  Are you looking to have the whole "magical experience" by staying in one of the Disney hotels or is it not an issue since you don't spend a lot of time there?

My fav hotels are:  Anabella Hotel (very nice rooms but no breakfast, has nice restaurant on site...try the Tangerine Margaritas...YUM!),  Candy Cane Inn (within walking distance but has free shuttle and continental bfast., but rooms are typical generic rooms. I took fruit from the bfast and threw it in backpack for kids to snack on later.  DISNEY LETS YOU BRING IN WATER & FOOD)   In a few weeks we are staying at the Homewood Suites (they provide hot breakfast AND light dinner with beer/wine....I can let you know how it is.)

Restaurants:  You definitely need to go to Goofy's Kitchen on day. It's a buffet style meal but a lot of characters cycle through and give the kids one on one attention at your table  :)  You can tend to eat cheaper outside of the park...Downtown Disney has a lot of options.

One day you need to go into California Adventures when they OPEN.  Right now it is going to be the busiest park because Cars Land just opened. Also....Midway Mania (Toy Story 3D ride) does NOT have fastpasses so you have to get to that ride quickly or you will be standing in line for quite a while.  You can only hold 1 fast pass at a time...meaning until the time frame is up on the fast pass you hold, you can't get another.

If you want to see World of Color.....get a fast pass for it.  This is the only execption to the fast pass rule above.  The earlier you get the fast pass, the better seats you get but it's still first comes first serve seating.

The fireworks are amazing but if you're not into them, ride the rides!!  They are definitely less crowded at that point.

You may want to head back to hotel for a nap to be able to stay out later, not sure how your kids handle long days/naps/no naps.

Um....I've been so many times.  PLEASE...if you have any questions, feel free to contact me!!  I'm sure I can tell you a lot more, just can't think of it :)

MommyJDTJ
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Plan at least 2 days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theresaphilly
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Get your tickets now, the line at Disney Land is super long. Arrive at the park early. 

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I've never been to Disneyland but it sounds like you're getting some good information here!

Quoting LuvingRN:

Ok...I've been to Disneyland 3 or 4 times this year already :)  We have the annual pass!

Just so you know, October will be slightly busy but not as busy as the summer months.  A lot of schools have a fall break and head there during October.

In the past, I have found that it is cheaper to purchase hotel and tickets seperately.  I've always bought the e-tickets online from the Disneyland website.  I don't know if there is anyone that sells unused days on tix like a previous poster says, but if it saves you money and is legit, go for it.

My first question is...how important is the hotel to you?  Are you looking to have the whole "magical experience" by staying in one of the Disney hotels or is it not an issue since you don't spend a lot of time there?

My fav hotels are:  Anabella Hotel (very nice rooms but no breakfast, has nice restaurant on site...try the Tangerine Margaritas...YUM!),  Candy Cane Inn (within walking distance but has free shuttle and continental bfast., but rooms are typical generic rooms. I took fruit from the bfast and threw it in backpack for kids to snack on later.  DISNEY LETS YOU BRING IN WATER & FOOD)   In a few weeks we are staying at the Homewood Suites (they provide hot breakfast AND light dinner with beer/wine....I can let you know how it is.)

Restaurants:  You definitely need to go to Goofy's Kitchen on day. It's a buffet style meal but a lot of characters cycle through and give the kids one on one attention at your table  :)  You can tend to eat cheaper outside of the park...Downtown Disney has a lot of options.

One day you need to go into California Adventures when they OPEN.  Right now it is going to be the busiest park because Cars Land just opened. Also....Midway Mania (Toy Story 3D ride) does NOT have fastpasses so you have to get to that ride quickly or you will be standing in line for quite a while.  You can only hold 1 fast pass at a time...meaning until the time frame is up on the fast pass you hold, you can't get another.

If you want to see World of Color.....get a fast pass for it.  This is the only execption to the fast pass rule above.  The earlier you get the fast pass, the better seats you get but it's still first comes first serve seating.

The fireworks are amazing but if you're not into them, ride the rides!!  They are definitely less crowded at that point.

You may want to head back to hotel for a nap to be able to stay out later, not sure how your kids handle long days/naps/no naps.

Um....I've been so many times.  PLEASE...if you have any questions, feel free to contact me!!  I'm sure I can tell you a lot more, just can't think of it :)

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

MomTo2Girls0302
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Thanks everyone! A hotel I just want it clean and safe, as far as the Disney hotel they just seem so pricey compared to all others. We haven't booked yet and are feeling a little over whelmed with all the choices.
MomTo2Girls0302
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)