Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When I was kid, I remember going to see the fireworks. There's a big city park in my town, and every year people start setting up tents and canopies at 7 a.m. By noon, the entire park is wall to wall people, and it only gets more and more crowded as the day goes on. By the time the fireworks happen, the streets that surround the park are closed and completely crammed full of pedestrians, virtually shoulder to shoulder. If you are in a car in the vicinity during that fifteen minute show, put your brake on and enjoy it, for you aren't going anywhere.

Once, my mom and dad didn't want to go all the way to the city park - because, if you did, you were guaranteed to be there for hours - and we went to a nearby shopping center. My parents let us climb onto the hood of the van, and then we were, for a brief, exciting moment - allowed to climb on the roof to watch the show.

It was magical and amazing and we felt like the biggest stars that weren't already in the sky. And then I scraped my back on the car door when I got down of the roof and got yelled at by my dad. Not such a magical moment then.

Now that I have children, I'm not a big fan of fireworks, but I know how much my kids love them, and so we go every year. We are lucky enough to live within walking distance from that same city park, and so we pack up and walk over. We skipped a couple of years when babies were just too small, but now we all go without fail. I try to see it through their eyes - fireworks really are kind of cool. I try to make memories for them - maybe we will get firecracker popsicles, or bring popcorn in baggies to enjoy during the show. We will probably forget the bug spray and slap at mosquitos, and someone will inevitablly spill their water bottle.

Good times like these make amazing memories for all of us.

What will you do for the Fourth of July festivities? How will you create lasting memories for your children?

©iStockphoto.com/PapaBear

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
Meltopia529
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

We didn't do anything. My son fell alsleep around 9, the fireworks weren't til 10.

Bob192
by Crystal on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM

We are fortunate that our neighborhood has fireworks every year.  So we walk to the park to enjoy the fireworks.  We also had a BBQ in our back yard.

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM

This year it was a pretty low key holiday- we did some little fireworks at home (the ground type) and I made firecracker french toast for brunch and we had some steaks for dinner.  I always put some flags up on the table and red, white, and blue table linens.  The kids love it!

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Quoting Bob192:

We are fortunate that our neighborhood has fireworks every year.  So we walk to the park to enjoy the fireworks.  We also had a BBQ in our back yard.

Oh how nice to have a show right there!

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Quoting starreyedcutie:

We saw fireworks on base!!! Hope everyone had a GREAT 4th

I bet they were beautiful!

Bethsmommy07
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

i still love watching fireworks. Back in my hometown in Monterey California, they dont do fireworks anymore because it costs money. But I have the memories of watching them with my family

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)