Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How has the Internet changed your parenting? Has it made you a better mom?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

The Happy New Mom's Dirty Little Secret

Posted by Jeanne Sager on July 2, 2012

mother onlineIt's hard out there for a new mom. You're bored. You're overwhelmed. You're exhausted. And now for the good news. The research gods have given us a safe and easy fix for the new mom blues!

The thing you're doing right now, sitting in front of a computer screen, reading something on the Internet? Pat yourself on the back, Mom, this is exactly what you should be doing now. Then schedule yourself some Facebook time. You deserve it. And don't let anyone tell you different m'kay?!

The over-sharing loons you read about over at STFU Parents and mean mommies online give "mom on the Internet" a bad name. And the horror stories of parents who were too busy playing a game or gambling online to take care of their own kids don't help.

But for all of those jerks, there are hundreds, no, thousands more normal folks willing to throw you a lifeline.

The new research out of Penn State and Brigham Young universities points to a feeling of being "less alone" among moms who are part of online communities (like CafeMom!). At least 76 percent of the moms said they read blogs, and more than half maintain one of their own. About 44 percent of them reported a spike in their use of Facebook since they gave birth too, as they posted photos of their new babies and reached out to other moms for support.

Now this was a teeny tiny study -- just 157 participants -- and it doesn't account for the darker sides of the Internet (you know, like fretting over all the embarrassing things your kids will one day do online!). I'm sure people are going to run all over it with their reasons why this doesn't work.

Allow me to tell them where to stuff it. In the past week alone, I've seen two moms I know write desperate "HELP ME" statuses on Facebook asking for help with their new babies' problems. One breastfeeding mom couldn't seem to get her son to accept breast milk in a bottle from her husband so she could take a few minutes to shower or make dinner. Another breastfeeding mom was struggling with her son's reflux.

And little by little, the responses came in. There were ideas to try. There were remembrances of personal struggles to let these moms know they weren't alone. There was a stream of support for women who didn't have to leave their houses to get it. Heck, they didn't even have to change out of their PJs, and they were given a leg up.

How has the Internet changed your parenting? Has it made you a better mom?

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I think it's helped me stay semi sane!  

I have a place to go when I need to vent, I am able to talk to people going through similar situations, it's nice.

LilyBeansMom
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM
It helps me get support when I need it, especially when I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM

No it hasnt.

sweetlyblissful
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I agree!

Quoting LilyBeansMom:

It helps me get support when I need it, especially when I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetlyblissful
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
It helped me a lot. I found CM when I needed support after I lost my baby. I have had so much help and support since!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginnorm
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I find myself reading many posts and realizing that yes the internet has given me advice and help with parenting. I know that it is something I have to plan for though. I can sit here for hours if I'm not diligent with the scheduling of time on here. I restrict my self to early morning and nap time. Sometimes I do check email at other times of day as many keep in touch with me that way for my business. social networks are great they help new moms and seasoned moms feel like they are not alone and give them a ssense of being part of the greater community of moms. There is a chance to fit in.

As an older mom i have found a group on here that I can get with more women in my age category and situation  than I find going to the local gym.

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It has helped me find a lot of fun things to do with my son

godsgirl26
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

No it hasnt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)