Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Have you ever felt that being a mom was boring?

Posted by   + Show Post

Being a Mom Is Boring

Posted by Jeanne Sager on June 29, 2012 

yawnSomething tells me mom and writer Julie Cook is about to get a lot of hate mail. She came out this week in the British tabloid the Daily Mail with a story about the drudgery of motherhood. The headline? "I love my son, but being a mother bores me."

G'head and hate on her ladies -- plenty of people already are -- but I'm not joining you. For one, I doubt Cook even wrote the provocative headline (little writer's secret here: often we don't). For another? I happen to agree with her.

Motherhood, especially early motherhood, is awfully boring.

Of course, I need to put in a little disclaimer here. I love my daughter to pieces, just the way that Cook probably loves her son.

But let me give you a picture of the first few months of her life:

She slept. She cried. She ate. She pooped in her diaper. She cried. She ate. She slept.

Did I mention she ate, slept, and pooped? Oh right, and cried.

She cried because she wanted to eat. She cried because she wanted to sleep. She cried because she'd pooped.

Don't get me wrong: I was very busy during the first year of my daughter's life what with all the feeding and diaper changing and trying to make her stop crying. I was happy, even, to finally have this little bundle of tears and poop in my arms.

But that doesn't mean it was interesting. In fact, I have a theory of sorts about the "watching paint dry is more exhilarating" quality of early motherhood. It's boring for a reason.

The boring same old same old is about all a mom can handle when she hasn't had a full night's sleep in six months. That's right, we need boring. The eat, sleep, poop, cry, later, rinse, repeat routine is something we can do in our sleep ... or would if we actually got any. If you really think about it, it's safer this way. We know what we're doing, and we can handle it. When things get exciting, they also get scary. I don't like scary ... do you?

The good news for all moms, even Julie Cook? Life with a 7-year-old is never boring. They don't actually shut up long enough for you to snooze off.

So be honest, does Julie Cook's confession really sound that shocking to you? Were you bored?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bmat
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:50 PM

No, I was never bored. Even in that first week of life my baby didn't just cry, sleep, and well you know. I even have a picture of him on my lap and looking up into my eyes.  No boredom.

sdgd21
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Boring confused, how!? umm no never boring! lol 

mummy1990
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

The first couple of months were boring. When I came home from the hospital and the excitement had all settled down, I found time to actually sit down and read books. I thought to myself, geez motherhood is easy, why do mothers complain so much...then at about 4-5 months he started staying awake during the day and then I became overwhelmed, lol. Now my kid is a year old and a ball of energy...I'll be lucky if he goes down for a nap, lol

allthatjazz251
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I agree with her. I have a 13 month old and a 5 year old. They like to do stuff, but for me, I'm bored! I think if I actually had a decent break from them and had things to do that I enjoyed it wouldn't be so bad. DH and I never go out on our own, so we're suffering from parental burn out.

deadlights86
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM
its still boring I love my 7 yo but he just yaps on about Mario and sonic and I'm pretty done hearing about them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I may get bored, but being a parent isn't boring. 

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

When my son was 0-6 months he was pretty boring. After that he was learning to crawl, roll, and starting to do things. We never have a boring moment here now!

Charizma77
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I have some boring days but now I would killnforva boring day!
jen2150
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Motherhood is a lot of things but boring was never one of them.  At least that is how it was for me.  The only time it was boring was when I didn't have a vehicle.  That wasn't because I was a mom but because I was stuck at home all the time.

Bluetick
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Oh LOL w 3 kids it never gets boring
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN