Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Homeschool or no?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

What are your views on homeschooling?

My son will start pre-k next year and I'm so nervous about putting him in public school! I don't want to be that overprotective mom, but I can't help it due to my own experiences with public school.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Are you asking for opinions or just venting? I think that whatever works best for you and your family is what is best for you. I was bullied in elementary school, but it didn't affect me the way it affected you. So my older children went to public school except my oldest dd who was having issues with being very shy. Her dad decided to home school her (she lives with her dad, messy divorce). I plan on sending my youngest to public school and hope that bullying won't be a problem for him. He is very outgoing and makes friends easily, so I hope that he will come to me or his dad if it becomes a problem for him. My cousin homeschooled all of her children and it really is a full time job, but it can be rewarding as well, as long as the children are getting social interaction from somewhere.

NeverABreak
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Thanks, and I'm genuinely asking for opinions.

amy7243
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I do not have an opinion either way. My kids go to public schools but we have friends that are home schooled and they love it.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I think several things play a factor in making that decision.  You need to look at the social aspect, as well as the education the child would receive.  I don't think every parent is qualified to home school. Their are other alternatives besides home school or public schooling.

I also don't think a bad experience in one school should condemn all schools.

NeverABreak
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I switched school districts 3 times to try to escape the problem. Kids are just mean.

Quoting mrswillie:

I think several things play a factor in making that decision.  You need to look at the social aspect, as well as the education the child would receive.  I don't think every parent is qualified to home school. Their are other alternatives besides home school or public schooling.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Quoting NeverABreak:

I switched school districts 3 times to try to escape the problem. Kids are just mean.

Quoting mrswillie:

But not all kids. I don't like stereotyping.  Many kids come from good, wholesome homes.  My kids are taught manors, respect and dignity.

It sounds like your mind is already made up.  I'm sorry for what happened to you and I do know bullying is a problem, but not everywhere...not everytime.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is a very personal decision and has to be what you feel is right for your family.  If you feel you are being called to homeschool then make sure you do all the work needed to get the curiculum and everything you need and that you stay on top of it like a full time job.  I wouldn't do it just out of fear though.  The thing you have going for you is that you are going to be super observant of how your child is treated and you can be on the lookout for bullying since you are so familiar with it.  I know nothing of your home situation growing up and how your parents addressed the bullying but since you went through it I am sure that at the first signs of it you could be all over it making sure it didn't continue and if you tried and tried and they didn't change anything over a few months time then you could pull him out and homeschool then.  I think since you are super aware of it you wouldn't let him stay in school and be bullied for years and years like you were.  Hugs. 

NeverABreak
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Thanks!

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I think it is a very personal decision and has to be what you feel is right for your family.  If you feel you are being called to homeschool then make sure you do all the work needed to get the curiculum and everything you need and that you stay on top of it like a full time job.  I wouldn't do it just out of fear though.  The thing you have going for you is that you are going to be super observant of how your child is treated and you can be on the lookout for bullying since you are so familiar with it.  I know nothing of your home situation growing up and how your parents addressed the bullying but since you went through it I am sure that at the first signs of it you could be all over it making sure it didn't continue and if you tried and tried and they didn't change anything over a few months time then you could pull him out and homeschool then.  I think since you are super aware of it you wouldn't let him stay in school and be bullied for years and years like you were.  Hugs. 

collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM
I would love to homeschool.

There are 32 kids in each kinder class here and 30 or more in grades 1-5. I dont think my son will get the attention he deserves.....and I don't want him sitting in a class where most of the time is spent on management, not learning.

Plus we have A LOT of resources in my area - there's actually a charter home school here, so kids pick classes they want to take & attend the classes they want to take (music, art, etc). And there's a ton of museums in my area with homeschool classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMS803
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM
I went to private school until middle school and then again in high school. I was bullied from day one at private school and at public, I was practically invisible. I will teach my kids at home for as long as I can. I don't like how schools don't seem to notice all the crap that goes on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)