Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

PIOG Bedtime issue

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
The last few nights, DS, 2.5, has been having a fit when we put him to bed and insisting on sleeping with me. Basically he wants to fall asleep in my arms downstairs. Once he is asleep, he stirs when we take him back up but snuggles right in to bed when we lay him down. The other option is to leave him screaming and sobbing in his room , calling for us, which I have not been able to bring myself to do. I was never able to let him Cio as an infant, either. So my question is this: am i doing more harm than good by allowing him to saty with me and should I just let him scream? Please, if anybody else has been through this, I would truly appreciate some advice!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hunterskysmom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Have you tried laying down with him to he falls asleep that's what we do with our DD who just turned 2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
copperswifey
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I'm not sure. I can't let my kids sit in there and scream either. It breaks my heart. I always imagine if that was me in a dark room scared and alone. Sorry I can't give you good advice. I'm sure someone else will be able to. Good luck! :)

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I agree with this.

Quoting hunterskysmom:

Have you tried laying down with him to he falls asleep that's what we do with our DD who just turned 2

elasmimi
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is a stage that will pass. We went through 6 months of this when my dd turned 5. Don't know why, but she apparently needed the extra security for a while. It stopped as suddenly as it started. I can't let a child scream when there is something I can do for them.

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I can relate!

My son was doing something similar.  He would SCREAM every night at bedtime.  We'd give in and let him sit up with us until he fell asleep on the couch.  Well, I got fed up, I need my quiet time before bed so I started laying down in his room at night until he fell asleep and then I'd sneak out.  I did this for two weeks and then I decided he was going to have to go to sleep on his own.  So I did the routine and then said, "I'll be back" and I walked out leaving his door cracked.  He fussed a few minutes but then went to sleep.  Now he'll get mad when I leave but after a minute he quiets down and goes to sleep on his own.

gabrielle888
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I was never able to conquer this one... so I let my son sleep with me.. he is now 6 years old and is taking over the bed...I am hoping that he is going to decide that his own bed is better soon! My situation is different as I am a single mom but still I would prefer to have my own bed so I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night and move him!

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I never let my son CIO. If he wants to be rocked to sleep, just rock him.

LoveMyBoyK
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Thanks for the responses, ladies:) tonight will be interesting because he apends Tues and Wed at my mom's house, so we will see how it goes whem there is no "cuddle with mommy" option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I would keep him with me until he falls asleep.

What do you think the harm is in letting him fall asleep in your arms?

LoveMyBoyK
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM
My husband seems to think it will tech him that he will get his own way if he just screams and cries. But I disagree. During the day, we are very consistent with not giving in to tantrums. This just does not feel like a tantrum to me. The one thing that does concern me is what he will do when he is at his Gaga's house without us. However, we won't find out tonight, as I thought, because my SiL is being induced tomorrow, and c-sec if it doesnt work, so my parents are going to be out by the hospital tomorrow night - it is silly for us to take him up just to sleep up there so we are altering the schedule this week.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I would keep him with me until he falls asleep.

What do you think the harm is in letting him fall asleep in your arms?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)