Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

It is so discouraging and sad...

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM
  • 6 Replies

...to be here on CM and see so many mothers that think they can raise thinking, compassionate and healthy human beings using the same kind of discipline that has even been discredited by many that raise and train dogs. They use fear and intimidation against their children but fail to see that this doesn't help their children to learn how to control themselves and their behavior not because someone bigger and stronger is watching them but because it is the right thing to do.

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Not my child, Not my business (I am referring to how others discipline their children, not when it comes to abuse)

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I wouldn't use this on my kids because I don't ever want them to be afraid of me.  

elasmimi
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Agree

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

Not my child, Not my business (I am referring to how others discipline their children, not when it comes to abuse)

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I agree too

Quoting elasmimi:

Agree

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

Gooberzilla
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I agree.  As far as "not my child", I do agree with that in principle, however, how someone else raises thier chil DOES affect me and mine.  It affects my child's experience in life, in school, in the community.  Those sorts of "discipline" techniques increase the rate of crime in my community, increases the incidence of bullying and peer abuse in schools, increases the acceptance of negativity in general.  So while I would not attack any one person for their decision to use those discipline techniques, I will do my best to change public perception of the acceptance of those sorts of interactions.

Oostera
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Generally, I agree. I understand that some parents don't think spanking is as damaging as I do, so I don't push too hard on that. However, I HATE it when a spanking parent declares that my child must be an unruly menace to society because I reuse to lay a hand on them. That tends to be the point where I stop being so nice and accepting:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)