Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do your kids communicate with their friends?

Posted by   + Show Post

We gave moms the latest product from Hallmark, Hallmark Text Bands. The way the product works is kids create a message on their text band and then bump fists/high-five with a friend. Voila...the friend gets the message they typed and your child gets their friend's message.

Check out what these moms have to say about the Hallmark Text Bands.  Then,  let us know how your kids communicate with their friends.

For more information on Hallmark Text Bands, click here.

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Replies (71-80):
RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

My son, Cameron, was so excited to use the text bands with his friend, Liriel! I read the instructions and the kids typed in their first message, slapped the bands on, and gave each other a fist bump. COOL! It worked!!

The ran off to play some more, thinking they would be great for secret spy messages (spy is their favorite thing to play lately). But within about 20 minutes, they were frustrated. They said the bands kept turning themselves off. The 'on' switch is on the back, so they were technically still on, but the screen would go dark. I think as they play with them more, they will get used to the fact that they have to push a button to 'wake them up' again.

Overall, very fun! I think it would be a blast if several kids had them so they could all be passing messages back and forth. Playing tag with them would be neat, too... no question who was "it" -- it was whomever had TAGURIT on their band!

matttabi
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Ya my kids were excited at first. But lost interest fast. The black one didnt work. Couldnt figure out anything. Just wasnt what we expected. I would not pay money for these. I was expecting something a little easier. Idk where they have put them bc they have not messed with them since they got it. Fail.
bashfull_77
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

My kids were excited to get these and we received these last Friday. My kids said they were very hard to use and did not like them very much. The black one always would not work. They played with them less than an hour and have not picked them up since.

CassSpade
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I was so excited when the box came in the mail!

I have a boy and a girl, so the purple and black color options were perfect. The kids were on top of the directions right away, they were so easy to read! Since they are 6 and 7, I helped get everything set up. I thought it would entail more, but all I needed to do was switch it on and hold down a couple buttons. Easy Peasy!

Finally, the kids had the watches on and ready to go! They spent all afternoon sending texts back and forth. They did their names, "cool" "sweet" "dude".. and any other short words they could come up with. I really felt like this helped expand their thinking. They have kept their watches on and in the past 3 days, their interest has not fizzled.

I will definitely be grabbing some of these for gifts. These would be a lot of fun for a group of friends.

This is a fantastic alternative to the typical video games, in that they are able to interact in a way that is more personal. 

Thank you for this opportunity, we have had a lot of fun!

RedSoxWife
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM
We got our text bands on Friday, my oldest ds LOVES them. He is 7 and working on spelling words, and this is such a fun way to learn new words! He and I have been high fiving and knuckling our way through the spelling list his teacher gave us for the summer . Very easy to use and understand, I would recommend this product to anyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamisAngels
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM
It's been about a week and my children are still enjoying the Text Bands. When my stepdaughters came over for the weekend, they tried them and liked them, too. They're only 4 so they needed help spelling things and putting their messages in. But they liked bumping and seeing the messages switch from one band to the other. I will most likely invest in more for all of them to have one and play together. For now, they take turns which has been working out nicely. I keep them in my purse when they aren't using them and when we head out to do groceries or run errands I give them to put on and keep them entertained while on the go. If I have work to do at home they work great too, because they'll make up their own spy or detective game and put clues in to exchange when they bump. One day when DH got home from work I had one of the text bands on my wrist. He looked and asked "so, you think you're cool?" I didn't know what he was talking about but he pointed at my wrist. I laughed out loud and told him I had been trying it with the children to see how well it exchanged messages. His reply..."yeah, you think you're cool". LOL!
Quoting MamisAngels:

I received the TextBands yesterday afternoon. My children were excited as they had been anxiously waiting the arrival of these TextBands. My sons are ages 9 & 8, my daughter is 6, so I thought this to be something they would really enjoy. After dinner I let them open the boxes up. Before I even had a chance to look at the directions they had already figured out how to work them. When turned on, the TextBands greet with a "Hello!" message. Because it's summer and they aren't in school right now to share with classmates, or in summer camp to share with friends, I let them take turns trying it on each other. Later this week or over the weekend I'll have them try either with their cousins or one of their friends that lives in the neighborhood, depending on who is available at the time. My middle son helped my daughter learn how to input messages by showing her what buttons to press when changing letters & characters. I liked that it was easy enough for them to understand as well as explain and teach to others. After they chose what they wanted to text they were ready to exchange messages. They high fived, shook hands, bumped fists and each time the messages transferred successfully. They enjoyed it so much they started making up their own special handshakes and fist-bumping routines. They made up their own games by coming up with their favorites: animal, color, toy, food, etc and then bumping or whatever to exchange. It was fun to see them try to guess what the other's answer would be before exchanging messages, and then actually seeing them read one another's answer afterwards. They also did sort of a silly question/answer game where one input a question the other input an answer, neither revealing their message to the other until bumping, etc. So when the question and answer were revealed it most likely didn't match and they'd laugh at the outcome.
The words were clearly displayed although if they were more than 4-6 letters they scrolled by quickly and they simply had to press the replay button to see it again. Since they can input up to 10 letters they get a good amount of message in if they abbreviate or use text codes. We went over the pledge and explained and encouraged positive expression, using words to build one another up and not bring others down. My oldest sometimes gets a bit negative toward the younger two if they are bothering him, so this may be a helpful tool to get him to use his words in a positive way. Having three children I made sure I kept them taking turns so they had even time. But I'm sure I'll be getting another so they each have one, and it may be a good gift for my nieces who have birthdays coming up, theyll be 10 & 11. I'm not sure if they'd be as excited as my little ones since they're a little older, but when they all get together they enjoy playing together so it may be good for that. Then they can play the zombie game as shown on the site or even the silly sentences game, those are games they're looking forward to trying. They also liked the variety of designed bands. One of my sons liked the Star Wars, the other liked the blue camouflage and my daughter liked several: pink zebra, Minnie Mouse, pink glitter, etc. It's nice that's there are several options. Being that my children are elementary school age and don't have cell phones, and won't for a while, I found this a nice alternative for them to exchange short messages in a fun way. It keeps them entertained, and the educator in me likes that it is even a way to get them to practice their spelling...of shorter words at least. ;) Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App High Five Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Hand Shake Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Fist Bump Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Check it out! Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Text Message Fun

"Beauty is God's handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

AstuteMama
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM

My 11-year-old son received his Hallmark Text Bands on Friday July 27, 2012.  My 11-year-old son and my 10-year-old nephew have been enjoying their Hallmark Text Bands. My son and my nephew found that when high fiving or shaking hands the Hallmark Text Bands didn't work with exchanging their messages. The Hallmark Text Bands worked really well when they bumped fists. The words from my son and my nephew "Hallmark Text Bands are awesome."

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM

We received the text bands, purple and black, for my son and his friend, who are both 6.  They spent some time together with their text bands.  They both figured it out how to use them quickly.  They passed "HELLO, HEY, UR<COOL, HI" and their names.  They exchanged texts by bumping and found that this method worked better than high fives, but they had to bump rather hard to get them to work.

My kids do not have cell phones but these are cool, fun and easy to use.  The colors are great and the games looked fun to do, too.  I'm sure they will have fun using them together and playing with them more.

I think this would be better for kids a little older than mine, though, as they are not experienced with texting yet.  Still, they enjoyed it and perhaps when they get older they will enjoy them more.

Thanks for allowing us to try these!!!  It was fun

MammaPaparazza
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM
My ds and dd got theirs last week, they were thrilled! when I get home I will post pics, and tell ya all about them!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foreverof4
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Was a hit with our twin 9 yr olds know to find one for my 8 yr old. I loved it cause it helped them read and remember words and thats awsome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)