Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How do your kids communicate with their friends?

Posted by   + Show Post

We gave moms the latest product from Hallmark, Hallmark Text Bands. The way the product works is kids create a message on their text band and then bump fists/high-five with a friend. Voila...the friend gets the message they typed and your child gets their friend's message.

Check out what these moms have to say about the Hallmark Text Bands.  Then,  let us know how your kids communicate with their friends.

For more information on Hallmark Text Bands, click here.

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Replies (91-100):
bmw29
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Just an FYI you can't space. Maybe try using a character key in place of the space. :)

Quoting mommytoeandb:

DD loved getting the text bands in the mail!  It took us a short while to figure it out and we're still trying to figure out how to do a space.  She did short messages like hello, you are a nut (to her brother, of course), and the like.  They were played with constantly for the first two days.  Still trying to explain that you don't have to whack the actual bands together.  Their pediatrician thought they were cool!  

She's 8, so it will be a loooong time before she gets a phone with texting.  I thought it was a cute way for kids to get the texting experience without exposing them to the big wide world.  I did have my kids sign the oaths and DD has done a similar oath for Girl Scouts, plus the internet safety ones at school.  We need to try out the games. 

Pros:  bad words are already bleeped out (didn't try it out, but I'm going with the literature), kids think they are fun, look cool

Con:  kids got frustrated when the other didn't want to send messages, can't use them at school

This isn't something I would normally buy, but it was a fun experience!  The kids had me sending messages too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I recieved our text bands a few days ago.  My Son is having a blast with them.  He is 6 and doesn't spell well at all, but he is still having fun!!

I would definitely recommed these and will probably keep some on hand to give as gifts!! 

NorCal_3
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

my 10 year old son has been having lots of fun with the text bands!! his friend from next door and he play with them all day. there is no space but it's cool that there are symbols. the boys pretend they're secret agents typing out secret messages. i would recommend them and have to several friends!!

bellawomen
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

My son (8 1/2 years old) was really excited to have these bands and gave them mixed reviews.  They are a cool new toy, but after about 3 days with them the "coolness" wore off and he didn't really show an interest in them.  But the first 2 days were fun for him, but he did mention that there was not enough room for him to type what he wanted.  There also is no space function to allow for spacing between words.  I think this was what led to him losing interest.  He could not type a full question or a full sentence.

They were easy for my son to learn and also his friends (age 7-10).  We took them to a playdate and they were fun for a while, but even the girls got quickly bored with them.  They all caught on to the technique easily and we had no issue with the texts transferring from bracelet to bracelet.

As a parent, I was cautious on letting him wear the braclets because they did not specify whether they were made of latex or were latex free.  So my advice would to be make sure this is noted on the packaging because latex allergies can be very severe, especially for children.  So the purpose of this trial run, I just had him put cloth under the band so it didn't touch our skin as we both are latex allergic.

So...would I buy them for someone else?  Not likely.  I definitely see them as a toy that is used for a couple of days and then tossed aside and not picked up for a while again.  I think the biggest improvements could be allowing more characters.

Audreesmommy757
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM

bummed about the reviews...dd really wants these...

janoindia
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM

This sounds cool and interesting, I am siure the kids like this. Technology has been well developed these days to keeps children interested in all these kiddi gizmos. I am sure they enjoy all this.

luffyduffy
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

oh my,i wish my ds could have one of those..i know he would love it very much...do i need to pay for it or how do i get one for my ds

silence68shh
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM

We got ours in and DS was so excited!! We read the directions and I showed him how to work them. He loved making the messages but we had many problems getting the messages to switch to the other band. We took them to a friends house and the boys (my DS 9 and her DS 6) had a great time with them. They had the same problem of getting the messages to switch but they had a great time fist bumping and high fiving lol 

If they were a little easier for the message to switch or clearer in the directions (maybe we're doing it wrong lol) they would be perfect.

Either way we love them, sharing messages to keep away from daddy, and he loves to take them to friends houses and keep messages from the adults :)

Thank you so much for the opportunity to try these out :) It made for some awesome mother/son time.

PepperWillow
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

When I received my box in the mail my son was over the moon. We opened it together and were both a little thrown by the appearance of the bands. The were black and very large and very thick. To be honest they were quite the eye sore.

My son, who is 9 years old, quickly learned how to add text messages. His cousin who is 14 was over so we let him use the 2nd band so my son would have someone to play with.

A common complaint even in the first hour of play was that the bands had no space key and that messages had to be very short. Limited to a word maybe two. Well, if you are only going to get to text a word like "awesome" in passing why not just say it? How much of a secret can one word (or two) be?

This seemed like a toy that would be offered at like say Burger King for $5.00. My son who was so excited about this played with it for a little while one day. Now they are lost in his room never to be thought of again.

My opinion? Great idea - very poor follow through...

Thanks for the opportunity to try this product.

oahoah
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My son is 7, not high tech at all (thanks to Dad & Mom rules) so he didn't quite get the whole idea of texting, he didn't like the bulk of the text band.  I personally don't think I'd ever buy these for our kids, they seem to be trying a bit too hard to be a fad.  A little disappointed in Hallmark as I have always loved most of their products. I will continue to buy Hallmark products but wouldn't recommend these.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN