Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

All the world’s a stage - and who is the greatest star of your most favorite show? Why, that would be your kid! Every child has something unique, something that makes him special in your eyes, something that makes her your most favorite person with whom you can hang out. It can be tough, though, to let those very special people know how you feel about them, especially as they exit those cute baby years and become people in their own right. After all, it's super easy to pick up a tiny baby, cuddle her and tell her she's your most favorite person. It's a bit more difficult when that baby is a kid with body odor who has just slammed the door in your face for the third time that day. 

Ahem. Not that this has *ever* happened to me.

This week, let's take a moment to reflect upon what makes your kids the star of your life. Really focus on what makes your child unique and special, and tell them. Is it tough to do? Why not send them cards to help capture how much they mean and how they’ve helped shape your life? It doesn't have to be a card that's mailed, although that can be exciting for just about any of us to find in the mail. Rather, fill out a card for your child and leave it on her bed for her to find before she goes to sleep. Maybe prop in on the box of cereal he reaches for every morning, or leave it in the bathroom tipped against the mirror. I know that I have a stack of cards I've saved from when I was younger, and my kids do as well. It's a nice way to let someone know how special they are to you, one that they can save and use to reflect on - especially in the future tough times.

One of my kids has the quickest sense of humor I've ever seen. One is very thoughtful and does as much as he can for others. One is working more diligently than many his age, and one is struggling to figure out how to make sense of more mess than I'd ever want to tackle, and handling it with grace and courage.

What are your kids doing in their lives that is right and good and fills you with happiness? Take the time this week to let them know how you feel. What will you do to show them?

©iStockphoto.com/Feverpitched

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
tayanddyl
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM
My son is very helpful, and will assist with his sisters without being asked. I love that he pays attention to what they need.

He's also very smart, although he's really lazy. The end of years last year he made straight Bs. I know and he knows he's a straight A student. He makes Bs without putting forth any effort.

He's also a great trombone player! I love him so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tayanddyl
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
My oldest daughter is very crafty. She has some real blessed hands. She can make things that make you want to buy it! She's the kid who comes to momma when I need it the most. She offers hugs at the right times. Very lovable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tayanddyl
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My youngest daughter is quick with words! At 4 years old she's already highly opinionated.

She can sing and dance like nobody's business! Its amazing to just sit and watch her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM

My son is working his first job and it is basicly full time!

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I love this post!

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Great idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina259
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My ds is  15 and I have had a hard time parting with the way things used to be between us when he was younger but I see him help his little sister (who is 7) or he'll go out and grab the groceries out of the car for me without much coercing or he'll stand up for a friend who's being treated wrong at school and these little moments of light help me to see that maybe we did ok with him after all. He's a teen so theres been some more worrisome moments but I still see that wonderful kid in him I've always knew. My daughter makes me realize things I didn't even know about myself. I feel she behaves so much like me. She's sensitive but will stand her ground in a heartbeat yet she's just so....idk, she's a girl and I love that about her. She's artistic, creative and views the world in her own childlike innocence when we all still believed that the tooth fairy really does exist. She not only believes in the tooth fairy but she's a big tinkerbell fan.She's 7. She notices the sunsets and says the fairies painted that. She's amazed by the sunset skys, stars, flowers and ladybugs.She loves to dance and sing to the top of her lungs (so long as she thinks no one is watching, she's a bit shy but underneath not so much) I just love the way she looks at the world. I think she's beautiful :)  I feel lucky to have been blessed with them. I love the idea of giving them a card focusing on the things you love about them. I have been worried about my son as to whether or not he realizes how much we love him. He is all boy and any touchy feely stuff he just want do but a card is discreet if I leave it tucked away somewhere in his room where only he will find it, so I think I will try this.

happymom0609
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

My son is 6yrs old and he has been very interested in writing his own stories and doing the artwork.

giving mom gift

3girlsandaboy90
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I secretly overheard my 10 year old daughter teaching my 6 year old daughter "how to be obedient" all the time! After I started interacting with her after that, all the little one could say was "yes, Mommy", and "okay, Mommy".  Well, at least it lasted for 5 minutes;-)

Twinniemoma
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I love to see how my twins interact with and hug and cuddle one another. Even at 13 months they constantly make one another (and DH and myself) laugh. I love to hear their little belly laughs. They have both completed their first season at little gym and love to run and climb practicing the skills they have learnt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN