Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

All the world’s a stage - and who is the greatest star of your most favorite show? Why, that would be your kid! Every child has something unique, something that makes him special in your eyes, something that makes her your most favorite person with whom you can hang out. It can be tough, though, to let those very special people know how you feel about them, especially as they exit those cute baby years and become people in their own right. After all, it's super easy to pick up a tiny baby, cuddle her and tell her she's your most favorite person. It's a bit more difficult when that baby is a kid with body odor who has just slammed the door in your face for the third time that day. 

Ahem. Not that this has *ever* happened to me.

This week, let's take a moment to reflect upon what makes your kids the star of your life. Really focus on what makes your child unique and special, and tell them. Is it tough to do? Why not send them cards to help capture how much they mean and how they’ve helped shape your life? It doesn't have to be a card that's mailed, although that can be exciting for just about any of us to find in the mail. Rather, fill out a card for your child and leave it on her bed for her to find before she goes to sleep. Maybe prop in on the box of cereal he reaches for every morning, or leave it in the bathroom tipped against the mirror. I know that I have a stack of cards I've saved from when I was younger, and my kids do as well. It's a nice way to let someone know how special they are to you, one that they can save and use to reflect on - especially in the future tough times.

One of my kids has the quickest sense of humor I've ever seen. One is very thoughtful and does as much as he can for others. One is working more diligently than many his age, and one is struggling to figure out how to make sense of more mess than I'd ever want to tackle, and handling it with grace and courage.

What are your kids doing in their lives that is right and good and fills you with happiness? Take the time this week to let them know how you feel. What will you do to show them?

©iStockphoto.com/Feverpitched

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
MeAndTommyLee
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM

7 children, 7 different paths.

The oldest started trade school at 15, got married at 22 became a father and built their own home.

Our only DD is presently in college and her goal is to be a pharmacist.  She has been working at a high-end women's clothing store since she was 17.

Our DS is a gifted artist and photographer.  He travels the country.

Our 18 yr old DS is presently deployed overseas

Our 3rd to youngest DS can play just about any instrument he picks up and teaches guitar and piano to any kid in the neighborhood that wants to learn free of charge.

Our preteen DS shares his older brother's affinity for art, painting, drawing  and wants to be an animation artist.

Our youngest DS will turn 6 in a couple of months.  He is reading small books and is showing a distinctive thirst for knowledge of our solar system.

ALL of them are special, loved, encouraged and celebrated for the unique layer they add to our family unit.

evilrdhd
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Going to college and both living on their own!
OHlattemom
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Recent conversation between my husband and our little almost 3 yr old (husband was in one room, our son in the next but within ear shot)
Daddy: sneezes...
3 yr old: Bless you daddy!
Daddy: Thank you!
3 yr old: You're welcome!
It made us smile to know he did all the politeness on his own!  Good manners are sinking in!!!  (but we are not fooled - he isn't like that 100% of the time!) :o) 

godsgirl26
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Quoting countrygirlkat:

That is a great idea with the cards!  Thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
studentteach
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM

My 10 year old is a theater star. Well she wants to be. She hasn't had any major parts but the parts she has had she really shines. My mother signed her up for a week long theater workshop and she has spent every waking moment practicing her lines and thinking about how she should play her characters. I am so proud of her.

My other two daughters have unique talents as well but right now Alyson is making me beam with good feelings.

MaddieBsMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

My almost 11 year old DD is a tremendous help with her 1 year old brother, she cleans a house better than I do, is terrific in her school work, and is very caring when it comes to others, she's a great kid! My one year old DS is the sweetest little boy ever, loving, fun and so handsome...I'm so very proud and blessed to be their Mom!!

angie2568
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM

All 3 of my kids are blessings. Just them being here makes me happy. They do fuss with each other and get attitude with me, but then they always want to spend time with me: watch a movie with us, play football, golf, baseball, walk down the roads with them, play a game or they like to all pile on my bed and fall asleep so I have to carry all to bed one at a time. (ages 14, 8 & 4)

jac77
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM

My daughter is an avid reader & she's very intuitive about people; which in this day/age i think is comforting.  My son is very sensitive & compasionate; which i think is a great quality in a boy.

lorelei10
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

well mine is still an infant, but hes also a screamer! i know why he screams though, he fights sleep. Honestly? I love that... it means hes eager to keep learning, hes determined! Hes only 4 months old and he already does things a 6 month old is doing, Im not a tiger mom or anything but he impresses me with just that little look in his eyes when i see those gears moving in his head :) Hes so cute and his smile and laugh lights up my world, even after long, tired, painful nights. He just brightens my life. Plain and simple, and he always will!! Even when hes a booger picking, tantrum throwing, little turd!!! :) lol

gabrielle888
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

My son is very kind to ppl and animals... he is a very generous 6 year old... and very creative!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN