Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

What do you think of the push to ban formula freebies in hospitals?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hospital Bans Formula Freebies in Latest Breastfeeding Victory

Posted by Michele Zipp on July 18, 2012 

baby bottleThere are a lot of ways you can describe formula. Expensive. Annoying to make with the cleaning of the bottles and the mixing if you get powder. What is needed if you don't breastfeed. And contraband. As of now, in Massachusetts, new mothers will not be getting free formula samples to take home with them. And it's all an effort of encouragement. To help babies get the best start. To help moms.

I believe some time around the advent of formula, the master plan was to get people to think the synthetic breastmilk was better than the real thing straight from mama. But the thing is, we didn't know very well back then. We painted things with lead, made things with BPA, you know, did things that have jeopardized our health, unknowingly.

Then somewhere along the line, breasts became completely and totally sexualized and breastfeeding rates plummeted. Which takes us to today where 57 percent of Americans think breastfeeding is an obscene act.

The push of free samples -- that subliminal advertising, that mother's little helper all too tempting for a new mom who may be struggling with nursing her first baby -- is what derails many from giving their babies the best stuff on Earth. The stuff that comes from mom, pure and perfect and everything your baby needs. Breastmilk.

The hard truth is that studies prove that mothers who breastfeed and get those free formula samples when leaving the hospital are less likely to be breastfeeding by the time baby was 1 month old. It's like the anti-breastfeeding serum. And Massachusetts isn't the only state to say no more. The ban on formula samples is happening in many places around the country and soon we may be a no free formula samples in hospitals kind of country.

I realize some will blast all this. Question what the mothers who can't or don't want to breastfeed should do. Act as if the world is ending because *gasp* free samples of formula won't be coming home with new moms in their hospital stash right next to all the extra absorbent maxi pads.

I want to say this: I love formula. It's fantastic. It should be more awesome and companies should be more careful about making it as safe and as great as possible. Many of us need it. But if you want free formula samples, contact the formula companies. You will get them sent to your home and coupons and all that jazz. The banning of the free samples from the hospital is something I applaud even though I know how needed formula is because hospitals should have their patients' best interest in mind. And if a mom wants to breastfeed and has the free sample formula in her home and in a moment of insomnia decides to give baby just one bottle, that one act can ruin a woman's chances of breastfeeding until the recommended 6 months by the American Academy of Pediatrics, or the World Health Organization's 2 years. We shouldn't be ruining chances when it comes to this. There shouldn't be a free temptation, given to a mom at a tender time, a whirlwind moment filled with overwhelming emotions.

Formula is great, and needed, and so necessary for so many. This isn't an attack on formula or those who use it. It's instead an effort to help breastfeeding. At no one's expense.

What do you think of the push to ban formula freebies in hospitals?

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's great. No one is taking away anyones choice to formula feed, all they're doing is not offering that gift bag. If you choose to formula feed, then by all means pay for your own formula...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I think many people get worked up over this subject..Lord i feel like i am replying to a post in mom confessions...I think wether they get it free or not some moms are going to formula feed. What happens when you do not produce what your baby needs???? My best friend's milk never came in..they tried everything...so sometimes the best laid plans deflate in the end :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I think they need to leave it alone.  I have NEVER had a hospital force me to take the samples.  Yeah, they're there for you to take but no one said you have to.   I'm more excited about the free bag than what's inside it.

Besides with all three of my children I was asked repeatedly, "Are you sure you don't want to try breastfeeding?"  

I personally think if I mom truly wants to breastfeed her child those free samples are not going to change her mind.  Moms are going to breastfeed their babies and will continue to do so unless there comes a time where she just simply cannot.  

-Ruby-
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think it's a good idea.

For moms who are committed to breastfeeding, it won't make a difference, but for those who are having trouble or are shaky on whether they want to or not, combined with exhaustion, hormones, unfamiliar setting, I think the temptation of something quick and easy pushes them over to FF and the last thing we need is more FF babies.

I think it's like deciding what to feed the rest of your family.

If you're already set on cooking a nice, nutritious meal for your family some night, driving past the McDonalds and into the grocery will be no problem. If you're bent on doing the quick and easy, you're not going to suddenly change your mind and go to the grocery to get ingredients for a good meal. But if you're driving home from a long day, exhausted, emotionally drained, and on one corner there's a McDonalds, and the other a grocery store and a real meal to cook, realistically, how many people are going to not cave and get what's quick and easy?

-Ruby-
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

And if FFers are so upset about not getting free stuff, why don't breastfeeding moms get free food to help them produce more milk? Where's Nestle with our free chocolate?

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

We did clip his tongue, but he still did not latch properly. I pumped as much as I could, but still was not enough.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If your doc had any knowledge in breastfeeding, he would have clipped that tie as soon as they found it instead of pushing formula.

Quoting Meltopia529:

I wanted to BF. Took classes to learn more about it and all. My son was born tongue tied and couldn't latch on properly. After trying for two weeks at our first check up the dr told me to switch to formula. My baby wasn't gaining enough weight because he couldn't get a good latch. Needless to say I would have been grateful for a free tub of formula.

Quoting Delirium003:

I agree. What if, while in the hospital, she can't breastfeed for some reason or another. She could have gone in with all good intentions of breastfeeding, but found that she couldn't. Kwim? Idk of a senerio that would be like this, but you never know.

Quoting hunterskysmom:

I think it's wrong the mother should have a choice

marynash88
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I support the movement. All its going to do is nix the free formula that is routinely passed out at the hospital. If you get there, attempt to breastfeed and it doesnt work, the hospital will have formula there for your baby. I promise they wont let them starve. And if you already planned on formula feeding? Then bring your own can. Let the company know enough time in advance and you will have PLENTY of cans to get you started. Hell, tell them you're breastfeeding and you will get more! :D

aeneva
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

The mother should have a choice and they do they can call the formula companies and get the free samples.  I personally breastfed both my kids and I handed the formula samples back to the nurses and said give these to a mom who really needs them.  I think if there are going to be bags given away (which I feel is wrong in and of itself) that there should be one for the moms who are choosing from the get go to give formula and one for moms who are trying to breastfeed.

Marketing to the women at such a fragile time in their life is just WRONG IMHO.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I agree!

Quoting aeneva:

The mother should have a choice and they do they can call the formula companies and get the free samples.  I personally breastfed both my kids and I handed the formula samples back to the nurses and said give these to a mom who really needs them.  I think if there are going to be bags given away (which I feel is wrong in and of itself) that there should be one for the moms who are choosing from the get go to give formula and one for moms who are trying to breastfeed.

Marketing to the women at such a fragile time in their life is just WRONG IMHO.

katiekiwi
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

my daughter was BF for 2 months she was extremely cranky because i was not producing enough milk.. i tried pumping to get me to produce more she was only 7 1/2 lbs at her 2 month visit so she went on formula.  So i think its wrong to stop the hospitals from giving formula out.  my daughter is smart happy and has a strong bond with me.  So thats that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN