Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

I can't child!!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have 2 kiddos & one on the way.. ... .. our youngest who is now 4 has always been our I can't do this or that child. No matter how many times we say yes you can sis.. She says I can't all the time & it drives me insane. What can I do to help her with this. She is going in her second yr of preschool & has other kids & people around her there.

pregnancy

wedding planning

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetlyblissful
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I have a DD similar. I think she will come around sometime. She needs approval and encouragement. And time to build her confidence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM
I would just help her a bit and say see you can do it. Try and keep it in the positive and hopefully she realizes she can :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippieMomma86
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

My sons were the same way. Sometimes they still try that, but it's usually with things I know they can do. Simple encouragement can go a long way. I also started showing them how, or explaining what to do. I would say "of course you can do this, first you do -this- then after you do -that-, etc, and then look! you did it!"

hunterskysmom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Here is a bump my DD is independent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Swiseman
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Thanks you guys.. and yes hunterskysmom.. my son is independent, my oldest..  my youngest isn't so it's odd for me to deal with after my oldest.

Meltopia529
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

help her if she asks for it. She probably can do it, she just wants your attention while its being done

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM
I tell my 4.5 year old if she can't do it herself then she will have to do without. If she can't put on her shoes she can't go to the store. If she can't put on her shirt she will have to stay in the bathroom. If she can't open her juice then she will have to go thirsty. You get the drift. I only do this with things that I know she can do. It's a miracle she always figures out a way to do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Swiseman
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM

We've tried that & it only leads to a screaming little girl. There are days I swear my 4yr old is 1. She'll just start up with a screaming fit and u can't stop her at all. She's emotional all over and there's nothing u can do about it when that starts. She'll scream like you have just beat/stabbed her like on the movies. I mean its crazy. And with another one on the way I was hoping she would turn around and be more of mommy I'm a big girl I can do it and stop throwing fits. And no this is not a thing since we've been pregnant, it's been this way since she was born. She has been high maintains since day one and she acts like an only child when she has a big brother.

We were told once she can move on her own & talk she'll get better & it's only seemed to make her worse. Her attitude gets worse & worse with every year & it scares me for her teenage yrs.

Quoting andersongirl562:

I tell my 4.5 year old if she can't do it herself then she will have to do without. If she can't put on her shoes she can't go to the store. If she can't put on her shirt she will have to stay in the bathroom. If she can't open her juice then she will have to go thirsty. You get the drift. I only do this with things that I know she can do. It's a miracle she always figures out a way to do it!

pregnancy

wedding planning

signingmama2915
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Start not doing things you know she can do for herself for her. If she is not willing to do it for herself she can go without or miss out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Everytime she screams send her to her room and don't allow her to come out until she stops. Do this everytime and she will stop

Quoting Swiseman:

We've tried that & it only leads to a screaming little girl. There are days I swear my 4yr old is 1. She'll just start up with a screaming fit and u can't stop her at all. She's emotional all over and there's nothing u can do about it when that starts. She'll scream like you have just beat/stabbed her like on the movies. I mean its crazy. And with another one on the way I was hoping she would turn around and be more of mommy I'm a big girl I can do it and stop throwing fits. And no this is not a thing since we've been pregnant, it's been this way since she was born. She has been high maintains since day one and she acts like an only child when she has a big brother.

We were told once she can move on her own & talk she'll get better & it's only seemed to make her worse. Her attitude gets worse & worse with every year & it scares me for her teenage yrs.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN