Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

There's a reason why, in times past, people raised their children within a group, or a village. It's because we just weren't meant to do this much hard work, work that comes with very few accolades, all by ourselves. But, somehow, our society has evolved into a desire that we all must exhibit ourselves as SuperWomen - Matryrs to our family.

This is just not good for any of us. We all need our peeps, our back up dancers - those people who support us and tell us the things that will help us succeed in our lives.

When I was pregnant with my third child, I discovered a discussion board comprised of women who parented in much the same way that I did. Over the end of the pregnancy and during the first months of my life with my son, I bonded with these women. We called ourselves the Hot Mamas - that was the name of the website and we all felt as if we wanted to retain that part of us. My HM friends quickly became an integral part of my life. I spent hours talking with them, discussing topics that not only dealt with pregnancy/childbirth/child raising, but learned much about other faiths, religions and beliefs at the same time. The HM's were my rock, my stability, my bouncing ground and held my hands when times were bad. I know that I could never be half of the mom that I am today without the HM's and their wisdom.

We all have people in our lives who have been instrumental in raising and/or cultivating your children. Maybe it's your sibling, a teacher, a neighbor, your husband, a friend. Whoever makes up your village, share how they’ve been so influential and how much they mean to both you and your kids. Tell them how you feel with a heartfelt card or letter, or maybe a picture of a time that this person helped you through an incredibly difficult struggle.

Who has played a big role in helping you raise your children and how? What would you say to this person to express your gratitude?

©iStockphoto.com/CEFutcher

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
mrswillie
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM

My best friend because she was their for most of his life

elasmimi
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I have basically been on my own. I had my first child at 17, and had never seen a baby younger than 9 months. She was a preemie, but got to come home in a week at exactly 5 pounds. Somehow we survived, and I raised two more of my own, a granddaughter, and now a great granddaughter. I have the opportunity now to mentor a lot of the young mothers in her kindergarten class.

Charizma77
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Quoting Bob192:

Our church community was a big part of our lives for a long time.

My church was and is a big part.i feel blessed to have my family and church family as part of my childrens lives.
Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

My mom, my husband's mom and his Grandma.  They are wonderful to us.

Kainalu55
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:58 AM

my parents!

sendperfectcard
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Your stories are so touching.  Don't just THINK about the words.  Please send a REAL Greeting card by US Mail  with your family pictures to these precious loved ones who have helped out.  Send them FREE on me!  I will walk you through or you can go to my website and click "send a free card"...It is http://www.sendperfectcards.com/

terri76
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM
My parents have been here from the start. They are extremely close with my ds. I would be lost without them. I am forever grateful for everything they have done!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

my parents and hubby

buttersworth
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM

My husband has played the biggest role in helping me raise my children. I know that sounds sappy, but it's true. If it weren't for his hard work, overtime work, and dedication I would not be able to stay home with my children and forego work outside the home. He has had the same philosophy as me the whole way with the first kid to the last. A solid homebody homelife is what we love and feel like it gives our kids stability. We don't have any luxuries but luxuries are here today, gone tomorrow. A solid family lasts a lifetime, and that stability will hopefully pass down from our kids into their adult relationships and then onto our grandchildren.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)