Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

There's a reason why, in times past, people raised their children within a group, or a village. It's because we just weren't meant to do this much hard work, work that comes with very few accolades, all by ourselves. But, somehow, our society has evolved into a desire that we all must exhibit ourselves as SuperWomen - Matryrs to our family.

This is just not good for any of us. We all need our peeps, our back up dancers - those people who support us and tell us the things that will help us succeed in our lives.

When I was pregnant with my third child, I discovered a discussion board comprised of women who parented in much the same way that I did. Over the end of the pregnancy and during the first months of my life with my son, I bonded with these women. We called ourselves the Hot Mamas - that was the name of the website and we all felt as if we wanted to retain that part of us. My HM friends quickly became an integral part of my life. I spent hours talking with them, discussing topics that not only dealt with pregnancy/childbirth/child raising, but learned much about other faiths, religions and beliefs at the same time. The HM's were my rock, my stability, my bouncing ground and held my hands when times were bad. I know that I could never be half of the mom that I am today without the HM's and their wisdom.

We all have people in our lives who have been instrumental in raising and/or cultivating your children. Maybe it's your sibling, a teacher, a neighbor, your husband, a friend. Whoever makes up your village, share how they’ve been so influential and how much they mean to both you and your kids. Tell them how you feel with a heartfelt card or letter, or maybe a picture of a time that this person helped you through an incredibly difficult struggle.

Who has played a big role in helping you raise your children and how? What would you say to this person to express your gratitude?

©iStockphoto.com/CEFutcher

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
starreyedcutie
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Just me and my husband :) we don't live near family so what is say to my husband is thank you so much for just being you :) you're the best hubby and daddy ever
MamaMandee
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I have a group of ladies I met over 9 yrs ago while preggy with my 2nd child on AOL. A lot fo still talk and even have a group now on FB. But as far as raising our kids, its been pretty much DH and I. 

.Angelica.
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

i don't really get too much help. :/

daerca574
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

my parents have been completey void in my childrens lives.  They choose to drink and that is not ok with us.  My inlaws have been super great and we try to show them with extra special gifts, photos, and visits.

ceciliam
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It is really just me and my husband....and my sister:)

jessicasmom1
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

we don't have the group of kids like this I like to keep it simple DD and 1 or 2 friends . But Family helps, SO helps and others we know help in raising DD and show great things in life to her.

jessicasmom1
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

how sad :-(

Quoting daerca574:

my parents have been completey void in my childrens lives.  They choose to drink and that is not ok with us.  My inlaws have been super great and we try to show them with extra special gifts, photos, and visits.

Leelee1008
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

My grandmother, she was there from day 1 and has been every day since. Without her idk what I would have done.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM
And my dad. They love having my kids for days at a time. if one child is having issues my mom offers to take the load off by helping with that child or taking another. And they are helping me with my dds party by allowing me to do it at their house bcuz they have a pool and my dad is grilling hot dogs and burgers. I'd be lost without them

Quoting Madelaine:

My mom because she is helpful and gives great advice!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM

My friends play a role in helping raise my kids.  We all have the same values and we all watch out for each other's kids.  They know how to quietly correct my kids and they also know how to build them up and make them feel special. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)