Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Keeping Communication Going

Cafe AmyB
Today at 11:10 AM
Winter Fun #Fridgeworthy Moments Challenge! Enter to Win HUGE Prizes! - CafeMom

Show us your kidsâ most awesome cold weather moments! From baking cookies and decorating for the holidays to speci

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 27 Replies

Hi ladies,

Do you find it hard to talk to your kids or are they pretty open with you? How do you keep the lines of communication open?

teen girlon phoneteen boy

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvingRN
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I have always kept the communication open with my kids. I want my kids to be able to come up to me and talk to me about ANYTHING without feeling embarrassed or judged. We have always encouraged our kids to speak up if there is something that upsets them so we can talk it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I find it very easy to communicate with my dd, but she's only 5 now.
gacgbaker
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I think they are pretty open- we make ourselves available when they are ready to talk, try very hard to not react (get upset) if they have something to share that is hard for them to tell us, and we make time to do things with them.  

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and we always have dinner as a family- meal time is a great opportunity for them to share!  It doesn't hurt to even spend an extra few minutes at the table each night after everyone is done just to chat.  

Reina13
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I have always been very open and honest with my kids and in turn they learned that they can be very open and honest with me. We communicate really well in our home.

Reina13
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

This is such a good philosophy. I have pretty much done the same thing. It really does make world of difference if you can effectively communicate with your kids.

Quoting LuvingRN:

I have always kept the communication open with my kids. I want my kids to be able to come up to me and talk to me about ANYTHING without feeling embarrassed or judged. We have always encouraged our kids to speak up if there is something that upsets them so we can talk it out.

itsblissmas
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM

My kids aren't really at an age for "talking about things" but I'm working on and hoping I'm building a good foundation so mine will be open when the time comes. =)

LancesMom
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I have been trying a lot harder lately! My son tends to keep things in! But more and more I ask, How are you? Whats going on? Anything I can help with? How was your day?

All these questions get him talking! Which helps!

AnastaciaWrites
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I regularly take my 14 yr old daughter to "our special place" to talk. It's just a parking spot that looks out over a lake. We take snacks and sit in the car, look at the beautiful scenery and just talk. She loves it. So do I!

LuLuRex
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

My kids are young and at the age where they tell on themselves!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)