Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Would you medicate your child?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 220 Replies

We have resently ran into this issue on this subject. We have always said we would never medicate a child, unless it is life saving. Yes, we have asthmatic and we give them the needed medication. Chronic medical diseases need to be medicated at times.  We have a daughter who has developed a behavioral disorder after she was molested by a family member many time. This person is currently in jail and awaiting a trial. She may have to testify at this trial. Our daughter is 6 yrs old and now has developed what they call aggressive behavior. I forget the mental health term for what she may have they still have to do a pychological work up on her. Now not medicating was a fine choice until recently. While I was at work, my SO took the children (5 of them) to the gym, on the way home our 6 yr old decided she was upset about something. She unbuckled started hitting the other 4 kids in the car, SO told her to get in her seat as he started to pull over. She then began to hit him and kick him while he was driving and trying to pull over. He then removed her from the car so she could not injure her younger siblings and she reaptedly tried to run into traffic. He finally had to hold her in her seat with one hand while driving home, from there he has to restrain her using technique showen to us by her therapists. We only restrain when she is a dnager to herself or the other children. He restrained her for over 2 hours while all the younger children had to wait on lunch. The doctors wants to medicate her because of this seriously dangerous outburst, which by the way she has no idea what or why she was so upset.  We are at a very cretical crossroads, FYI she has not done a full out outburst in 2 weeks, but she does this up and down often. We know she has PTSD we just dont know what triggers it. She has good days more often then bad day. Still has small tantrums a few times a week. She also always applogize when she calms down.

Her bio mom was a drug attict and has mult. mental health dx, she eneded up OD this May. The children did not see her really but I think our daughter still may have feeling she cant express over this.

Her half brother that lives with maternal grandmother has been dx with bi polar, ODD.

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM
16 moms liked this
IMO, medicating only puts a bandaid on the issue, upping the intensity of her therapy is the only way to heal the wound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hunterskysmom
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM
17 moms liked this
I think meds will work along with therapy sounds like she has been thru a lot in her 6 yrs of life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Azmomto5
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats how we feel, but her therapist say that the recent events cannot happen again due to the fact she could of hurt her siblings and caused a car accident then hurt others also. She also was trying to self harm that day. We want more intense therapy, they feel she needs a pysch eval, due to her mother mental illness. They sometimes make it sound like we are doing something horribly wrong by not giving her meds to stablize her. She has her ups and downs like all our children but her downs are intense.

hunterskysmom
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't like mesicating a child have you tried going to a different therpist

Quoting Azmomto5:

Thats how we feel, but her therapist say that the recent events cannot happen again due to the fact she could of hurt her siblings and caused a car accident then hurt others also. She also was trying to self harm that day. We want more intense therapy, they feel she needs a pysch eval, due to her mother mental illness. They sometimes make it sound like we are doing something horribly wrong by not giving her meds to stablize her. She has her ups and downs like all our children but her downs are intense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Azmomto5
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

We do not get to choose our mental health group, insurance only works with one group. where we are from mental health therapist are all in a group like southwest behavioral, magellin  and so on.

Quoting hunterskysmom:

I don't like mesicating a child have you tried going to a different therpist

Quoting Azmomto5:

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree here.

But if medication is unavoidable then see if she can be put on the lowest dosage possible while her therapy is still going.  Hopefully with therapy you'll be able to help her and then bring her off the medication

Quoting fatcat0908:

IMO, medicating only puts a bandaid on the issue, upping the intensity of her therapy is the only way to heal the wound.

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

LuvingRN
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
8 moms liked this
When my stepdaughter was living with us, she was put on medication. She is a paranoid schizophrenic and even though the drs wont put it in writing, a lot of them think it may have started with the physical abuse she suffered from as a child from her mom.

Medication truly works wonders when theyre put on the right combination!

I would talk to the drs involved, make sure a child psychiatrist & therapist are onboard. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShoniJ
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM
5 moms liked this

My son was diagnosed with ADHD several years ago, and my first responce was "I will never medicate my child!". After having him tested several times and therapy, I decided to give it a try because we just couldn't manage it on our own. That was the best decision I could have made for my son. His grades were all brought up to A's and he wasn't getting in trouble at school. His quality of life totally increase. He has now been diagnosed with PTSD due to an unfortunate experience he had over a year ago, and after a year of therapy, they are recommending anxiety medication. I hate to put him on a second medication, but I feel that if I don't, it's only going to make his life miserable. I am stuggling though because I will have a 12 yr old on Aderall and anxiety meds, but along with continues therapy hopefully he won't be on the one med for too long.

Azmomto5
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Thabks for the support and advice. It is just alot to take in. Her bio mom had many mental health problems along with prescription drug addiction. We just dont want her to go down the road of depending on drugs for her happiness then possible become addicted in teen years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM
17 moms liked this

No one likes to medicate their children, but if it will help her and they start with a very low dose, it could be very helpful.  I'm a big believer in medication in conjunction with therapy to teach coping and behavioral techniques that will eventually no longer require medication.

It's been really helpful for my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)