Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Would you medicate your child?

Posted by   + Show Post

We have resently ran into this issue on this subject. We have always said we would never medicate a child, unless it is life saving. Yes, we have asthmatic and we give them the needed medication. Chronic medical diseases need to be medicated at times.  We have a daughter who has developed a behavioral disorder after she was molested by a family member many time. This person is currently in jail and awaiting a trial. She may have to testify at this trial. Our daughter is 6 yrs old and now has developed what they call aggressive behavior. I forget the mental health term for what she may have they still have to do a pychological work up on her. Now not medicating was a fine choice until recently. While I was at work, my SO took the children (5 of them) to the gym, on the way home our 6 yr old decided she was upset about something. She unbuckled started hitting the other 4 kids in the car, SO told her to get in her seat as he started to pull over. She then began to hit him and kick him while he was driving and trying to pull over. He then removed her from the car so she could not injure her younger siblings and she reaptedly tried to run into traffic. He finally had to hold her in her seat with one hand while driving home, from there he has to restrain her using technique showen to us by her therapists. We only restrain when she is a dnager to herself or the other children. He restrained her for over 2 hours while all the younger children had to wait on lunch. The doctors wants to medicate her because of this seriously dangerous outburst, which by the way she has no idea what or why she was so upset.  We are at a very cretical crossroads, FYI she has not done a full out outburst in 2 weeks, but she does this up and down often. We know she has PTSD we just dont know what triggers it. She has good days more often then bad day. Still has small tantrums a few times a week. She also always applogize when she calms down.

Her bio mom was a drug attict and has mult. mental health dx, she eneded up OD this May. The children did not see her really but I think our daughter still may have feeling she cant express over this.

Her half brother that lives with maternal grandmother has been dx with bi polar, ODD.

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Replies (121-130):
lazyd
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I would medicate for now, just to help her out.  It doesnt have to be a long term thing as long as you continue the therapy too. 

Messick30
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
All three of my childern are on meds for different reasons from ADHD, add, autism, odd, and seizeries without the meds theyre quality of life and mine goes away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barefootmommi
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Not my kid not my choice whatever u do momma I hope your whoal family finds some piece * hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cantsayno
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I have this same issue with my 3 year old whose egg-donor (I can't even call her bio-mom, because mom would indicate some level of caring) drank, used drugs as well was very violent to others as well as beaten herself. The signs first started showing up at 1 and a half, we had her assessed and her diagnosis, was PTSD as well as social and emotional issues. She is now showing signs of ODD, ADD as well as OCD. We are having her re-assessed in a couple of weeks, and I am strongly considering any type of medication available for a child so young as long as the side affects don't outweigh the benefits. The egg-donor and sperm donor were both bi-polar as well as many other mental health issues. I need to do what is best for her as soon as possible, before these behaviors become more ingrained and especially before she starts school.  Good luck to you. It is a tough decision with many people that may not have positive things to say to you about it, but it is YOUR decision that has to be made in your daughters best interest as well as the best interest of the rest of your family!

juwl18
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I think asking moms who have never been through something like this will get you no where try funding a support group with family with simiular issues that's where you will find the best answer I personally believe if you have done everything then try the Meds you can always take her off if you don't see the results that you expect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrendaW.
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM
She needs intense counseling and maybe bi-polar too. Being molested at a young age by a trusted person is hard for this child to deal with. We got custody of my stepdaughter and her mother was a drug addict and traded her for drugs repeatedly. The guy is in jail for 10. He coped a plea, which hopedfully the guy will who touched that poor child. She needs to know that you are there for her no matter what. All the people she trusted hurt her in some way. My stepdaughter and I have a bond because I let her know she can come to me with anything and I will not judge her, but will be there to make things right. She just finished 2 years of intense counseling. She is an horor student, I got her involved in other activities and we have shown her a better way to deal with things. She is probably used to outburst and that may be how she get attention for now. When she freaks out, get eye level with her and say" I am sorry you are feeling bad right now. When you feel better, please come into the other room and join us". After about 6 or 7 outburst, she learned that if something is wrong she can talk to me about it. Don't give up on her. It took us 2 years but she is a wonderful girl now. If she is bi-polar, she may need medication to stablalize the chemical imbalance in her brain. Please get her to a child Psychiatrist that specializes is sex abuse cases. That's what we did and I am so glad we hung in there. Good luck, and don't give up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunnyday454
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM
I think it's really important for you to find a behavioral therapist preferably someone who is BCBA certified to help your family and your daughter. Medication at this age can actually make things worse and in the long run you need to correct the issues without your daughter being dependent on drugs. I'm so sorry this has happened to your little girl but I'm confident that if you find someone who is trained in the right techniques and someone who is a BCBA your daughter will get the help she needs. You can google BCBA and find someone in your area. Good luck! I know it's hard but she will come through it and do ok.
larschick
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Mental illness, such as PTSD, is a chronic illness that might possibly need medication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunangel803
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I've worked with kids on a psych unit (though not as young as your daughter). There's always concern about medicating kids, especially young ones. However, given the seriousness of her outburst and how long your husband had to restrain her, that medication should be considered. She's got to be feeling pretty bad emotionally to act like that. She might even be scared by her own behavior (given the fact you said she didn't know what triggered her outburst).

Meds might help her in therapy as well. Sometimes meds alleviate the negative feelings and help people think more clearly, which would help in therapy. I know you mentioned PTSD but I would be curious if there's some depression as well - reason being PTSD and depression often occur together. Also depression often presents as anger and irritation in kids.

If you do decide to medicate, try to get a child psychiatrist instead of one that primarily works with adults. I know it's not an easy decision to make regarding meds. If you have any questions or if you want to talk, feel free to message me. Good luck!
ivy801
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)