Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

What do you want to change about yourself for your kids?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

7 Things I Want to Change About Myself Now That I Have a Baby

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on July 31, 2012 

babyThis past Sunday on Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Kourtney -- actually, my favorite of the bunch -- called her mother, Kris Jenner, a whore. I'll say it again: Kourtney Kardashian called her mother a whore.

I don't claim to have always been the most respectful of daughters to my mother, but dude. I would have never, ever called her a whore or anything close to it. And now that I have a child of my own, were my mother still alive, I would have gone out of my way to be kind to her -- not just because I now "get it," but because I want to set a good example for my daughter. Calling the person who gave birth to me a "whore" is not a good example. It sounds corny, but being a mom has made me want to be a better person. It's made me want to make changes -- or at least try -- to all the crappy habits I've picked up over the years.

Here are 7 things I want to change about myself now that I have a child.

I want to stop cursing so much. When I was pregnant, my husband and I would talk about this all the time. He'd say, "F**k!" And I'd say, "Hey, we really should try to curtail the swearing in preparation for our kid!" And vice-versa. We're yet to stop.

I want to stop talking smack. Perhaps one of the world's ugliest traits, being a person who talks s**t is definitely not something I want to pass on to my daughter. I want her to be soft and sweet and always see the best in people. Also, I don't want to influence her opinions of people. If I have an argument with my sister, I need to just keep my mouth shut around my daughter.

I want to stop complaining. I'm a complainer. I can't help it. Well, I guess I can, but it's hard. Sometimes, in crappy situations, my knee jerk reaction is to just complain. To groan. To let out long, exaggerated sighs as if they're going to solve whatever's wrong. I've learned over the years that they don't.

I want to have grace under fire. When the going gets rough, I have a tendency to freak the f**k out. I do not always remain calm. And it's weird, it only seems to be with the little things. Just like complaining, worrying doesn't solve anything. Anxiety kind of is a pointless emotion. One I hope my daughter doesn't feel too often.

I want to be more confident in my decisions. I have a tendency to second guess myself -- again, usually with the small things. I want my girl to grow up to be secure in the choices she makes. And I want her to know that if they don't work out -- which they won't all the time -- it's okay.

I want to stop watching crap TV. It's definitely within the realm of possibility that I would cease to exist if Bravo were ever taken away from me. That's a really ugly trait.

What do you want to change about yourself for your kids? What did you change about yourself for the sake of your kids?

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I want to stop talking about other people, it's not like we're staying horrible things about people but we do talk about others

I want to be more positive, stop complaining and be a calmer more peaceful person.

I would love to have more confidence too

litllady
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I would learn how to drive if I could only get enough courage and to stop yelling in general and I want to be more happier around just my family in general.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Maybe someday, think about maybe going on a diet....

LOL.. I really have no idea. I'm the same person I have been the last 48 years (I'm happy with myself) and already have turned out two pretty awesome kids, I dont see where changing to much would make anything different for my youngest.

sweetlyblissful
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Take care of myself better. I lose myself in being a mom for my kids and stop taking care of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM
My hot temper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AudMac
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM
I would like more Patience. I would love to know the perfect way to handle every situation. So many more things....
socalmommy13
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I would like to be more patient and stop cussing.its soo hard but I need to stop :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaNuney
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Confident and strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Evaloca
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I want to be more patient. I loose my patience and scream to the top of my lungs when my 2 yr old acts up. Today he hit me in face with a stick and I lost it. About 4 months ago he hit me on the head with a frying pan! I don't know how HELP Him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN