Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Car seat question.

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
  • 28 Replies

My little girl is reaching the limitations for her infant carrier and I don't know what to get her. I want to get a convertible car seat for up until she's out of car seats all together. I know the three-in-ones can be a bit pricy. It's my baby, though. I want only the best for her. What convertible reviews do you mamas have?

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetlyblissful
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM
I went and got the Radian R120 (It is super heavy but you can see the quality.) It can be used from birth until 120lbs. It is pricey, but well worth it since it has a 10 yr life and you will never have to buy another one for your child. It is rear and front facing. Some 3-in-1s don't rear-face. It's narrow and you can fit 3 across in most cars. But you have to really know what fits your vehicle too. I find it lays back pretty far, but it fits in my car fine. Do you drive a small car or a larger car?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleybgarcia
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Myride 65, true fit premiere, & evenflo is coming out with a new titan that will be around $100,& will last a long time rf..:) my son has still not outgrown rf at 3 years old in his myride!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coreilly89
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM

We drive a jeep. Lol. 

Quoting sweetlyblissful:

I went and got the Radian R120 (It is super heavy but you can see the quality.) It can be used from birth until 120lbs. It is pricey, but well worth it since it has a 10 yr life and you will never have to buy another one for your child. It is rear and front facing. Some 3-in-1s don't rear-face. It's narrow and you can fit 3 across in most cars. But you have to really know what fits your vehicle too. I find it lays back pretty far, but it fits in my car fine. Do you drive a small car or a larger car?

coreilly89
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I think I like that Radian. Thanks. It was just what I was looking for. 

sweetlyblissful
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I'm not sure how big the backseat of a jeep is, but I hope it would fit.  If not behind the driver's seat, maybe in the middle of the backseat. The Radians are top rated for safety.

Quoting coreilly89:

We drive a jeep. Lol. 

Quoting sweetlyblissful:

LuvingRN
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM
My kids are out of car seats but I'm sure the ladies here will have great information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The radians are having all sorts of issues now and the techs are not recommending them unless there is no choice.  The car seat safety group can give you more info on that.

You won't find a decent seat that rf, ff, and boosters.  How big is your daughter and what is your budget?  A good convertable seat will last you until she is 5-6 years old and then you will only have to buy a dedicated booster.

coreilly89
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

She's six months. She's still under an inch, but I haven't had her weighed since her 4m appointment. I want her RF for as long as I can. Most are 33-35 lbs and I think that's a little light. I've heard some go up to 45lbs for rf.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The radians are having all sorts of issues now and the techs are not recommending them unless there is no choice.  The car seat safety group can give you more info on that.

You won't find a decent seat that rf, ff, and boosters.  How big is your daughter and what is your budget?  A good convertable seat will last you until she is 5-6 years old and then you will only have to buy a dedicated booster.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

It depends on her weight too.  If she is tall and skinny like my kids the true fit would be great for you.  If she is heavier and shorter something like the myride would be best.  It RF to 40 lbs.  Oh, and the britax convertables are always great as well.

There's too many lies surrounding the radians and ignoring problems for me to trust that company.

Quoting coreilly89:

She's six months. She's still under an inch, but I haven't had her weighed since her 4m appointment. I want her RF for as long as I can. Most are 33-35 lbs and I think that's a little light. I've heard some go up to 45lbs for rf.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
jessi2girls
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Get one that has extended rear facing feature so she can continue to remain rear facing until at least 2 years old age (typically one that goes up to 30-35lbs in the rear facing position.. ).

Most of them then convert to a 5 point harness. Which I would make sure goes up to 50-60lbs..

from there, a boaster seat is relatively cheap (20-40 dollars for a good one).. and that you can buy separately when she's 4 or more and over 40lbs. Although my oldest is 4 1/2 and still in her 5 point harness, because 1- she's under 40lbs, and 2-I just feel it's safer.

Those IMO are some of the features you really want to look for when carseat searching as well as their safety ratings, and reviews.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN