Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Tips for Talking to Your Kids

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM
  • 43 Replies

Hi ladies,

Do your kids tell you everything?

Share your thoughts on how to help kids open up. If you can, tell us about a time when you were able to “crack the code” and help your kids through a sticky situation.

giving mom gift

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Audreesmommy757
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

audree tells me everything even if i dont want to hear it!!!!

Meltopia529
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

My son doesn't speak much at all, hes 21 mths. I hope once he finds his voice/words he'll want to tell me everything. I am very close with my mom and still tell her everything

amonkeymom
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM
4 moms liked this

My kids are the same way.  I'm really glad too.  I love that my daughter isn't afraid to tell me she met a cute boy.  Of course sometimes they tell me a little more than I care to know... especially my 11 year old when he's telling me about pokemon. ;)

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

audree tells me everything even if i dont want to hear it!!!!

babyboxfish
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:49 AM

My kids tell me everything because I let them.  I've never really had this problem, but maybe I've just been lucky.

mommyluvs2
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I have yet to crack the code f my 8 yr. old he dosen't talk to me unless I cox him into and doing that is like pulling teeth. Any advice that anyone has for me to help wth him plz feel free. I also have an issue with getting him to e truthful so as I said if anyone has any advice plz feel free.
LuvingRN
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I have always had an open line of communication with my kids so I've never had an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie2568
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes my kids tell me everything. I have always stressed how important it is to always communicate with mom, even if you feel scared, alone, embarrassed, threatned etc. They also know alot of my friends call, come by, text and email asking for my help/advice/opinions at least 2-3 times per week if not daily. So they know I dont tell ANY of what has been told to me, but I give them my personal opinions due to life experience.

I hope they continue to do this through adulthood, they also know if they can't speak to me that all they have to do is request to go to our Pediatrician and speak to her and that unless its life threatning to self or others she cant tell me anything.

Good Luck. always communicate even if you are the one who feels "weirded out" about the situation.

ralto
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My son (8 yrs) has social anxiety so he has a tough time expressing his emotions especially when he is having a bad day.  I try to spend time alone with him in a fun way, doing a craft, cooking , taking a walk .  It gives me an opportunity to ask him questions and he feels relaxed enough to think and express his emotions.  I try to do the same thing with my 6 yr old son.  I think that each child should have some alone time with each parent to develop a one on one relationship with them.  It has helped our relationship a lot.

woonsocketgirl1
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM
my kids don't tell me anything they just tattletail how can I stop that from happening
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

My kids are pretty open for the most part.  I keep the lines of communication very open.  There are adult things we don't always talk about with them, but then again their are depending on what is going on.  I want them to feel comfortable with us.  Alot has happened with them over the last two/three years.  So being honest with them and keeping them up to date.  Is a most almost,.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)