Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

School system

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello fellow moms I am new to this group and joined because I have 4 girls ages ranging from 15 months to 18.  I have a questions @ the school system. I am from a small town in Texas and am looking for a better education than the public school system can provide.  I have nothing against any of the teachers, its that they are taught to pass these state run tests and not really learning anything.  I know this because I have 18 year old twins, one excelled in school and did really well in all areas, where the other is more of a hands on kids. She felt weird, or left out, or "stupid" because she couldn't learn like her sister.  She hadn't passed Science since the 6th grade and I told them I wanted her to take summer school, they would not allow it because she passed the TAKS and that was all that mattered.  I still  have a 13 yr old and 15 month old, I want them to learn about real education, not things that were made in 19th century and behind that.  Do you know of any schools that have upgraded or that I can send my kids to? Or anything I can do to change this?  I feel we are sending these kids out into the world lost for the most part.  I hope I'm making sense.  My passion are my kids and seeing them do well in life and I personally feel let down for the taxes I pay and my kid still graduates high school not able to count back change.  Hope any of you can help.

thanks

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SabrinaLC
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Maybe supplement her education at home?

We send our oldest to public schools but still teach him things at home.

amonkeymom
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Perhaps you can find someone to tutor your daughter in a more hands on way so that she can still learn the essentials, but learn them in a way that makes sense to her.  Another option would be home schooling.

DarlaHood
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Private school is also an option.  It's a sacrifice, but if you find a good one, it can make all the difference in the world.  My dd only had 6 kids in her AP bio and calculus classes.  Huge difference in terms of the time that teachers spend, and their personal investment.  All teachers offered extra tutoring for free. Her teachers really knew and cared about her, and worked with her when she was struggling.  History is important to learn and know, but it doesn't have to be boring.  More engaged staff, smaller classes, helpful peers, and a sense of community make a big difference.

LuvingRN
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Private or homeschool ???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you considered homeschooling?

jadasmother72
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
I have considered all of the above & looking into them actively. My problem is why can't the public school system change to accommodate our changing times & stop teaching kids to just pass tests. I want my kids to go out into the world ready. These kids ( at least the schools we've attended) graduate without knowing how to count change, address a letter or envelope, how to interact with real people... I just wish the schools would accommodate todays kids & not politicize them. The more kids that pass these tests, the more $ they get. Any teacher I know are Heros & deserve more $ in their pocket & do what their heart desires them to do - teach. Not go by a curriculum set up by the state & of people who don't sit in classrooms all day with kids. Sorry for the rant, it's a passion of mine, I just want the best for kids & more for the great teachers out there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

If you want to make them change, start with your school PTA.  If they do not have a legislative chairperson, then start making appointments with your local reps and legislatures to give them your thoughts, ideas and struggles.  If the PTA does have a legislative chair, ask them what their platform for the year is.  I would also have a one on one with the district superintendent.

In the meantime, supplement at home.  We as parents should be doing this anyhow.  We use small bits of down time to quiz the kids (while cooking dinner, during commercials, driving to and from places) on geography, presidents, math, science, etc.  We also have med size US and World maps up.  When their friends come over, we quiz them and the winner gets a prize (cupcake, pencil, etc.).

This is how we taught my son the basics of algebra (during some down time).  Fifteen minutes is all it took.  Meanwhile, when he got into the 4th grade, it was introduced in his school and it all came back to him and he did quite well.

Hope this helps!

SweetP1973
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi. I know exactly what you are going through. Our school system is the same way. All they care about is passing the state tests (which is called the FCAT here) so they can get that money. I live in the same small town in Florida where I grew up and my kids go to the same schools I did.  When I was a kid teachers actually did their job and taught and when we did homework they actually went over it with you and told you what you did wrong and helped you correct it. Now they just look at the homework to see if it's completed (if it's not you get a zero), they don't check to see if it is correct. If you don't know how to do it...oh well! My oldest daughter has always struggled with school and was held back in 3rd grade because she failed the FCAT(that's right, they hold you back in 3rd grade if you don't pass it even if you make passing grades during the rest of the school year and she has never passed it. Anyway, I started thinking about home school a few years ago and kept putting it off in hopes things would change but it just got worse, so last school year she started virtual school online and I put her in the grade she's suppose to be in. I regret not doing it years ago. She went from barely making C's and D's to making A's and B's, it's amazing what happens when you have teachers that actually do their job! Anyway I could go on about this subject all night, it just infuriates  me to no end! I don't know about your home school or online school programs in Texas or what your home/work situation is but if you think it's something you could make work I think you should try it! Like I said I only regret that I didn't do it years ago. My daughter is a junior this year and will stay with online school til she graduates, since she is doing the homeschool program (which means she has nothing to do with the public school system) I feel bad she won't get to walk or wear cap & gown in a traditional graduation ceremony(which is BS if you ask me) and she wont get a "diploma" but all colleges need is an affidavit saying that the child completed all of the core subject requirements. It doesnt matter if it says "diploma" or whatever, that makes no difference, it all means the same thing. Sorry again for going on and on but know that there are other parents going through the same thing. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope everything works out!

jadasmother72
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I appreciate all your feedback do much, nice to know I'm not alone. My husband & I plan to join PTA & start attending our city meetings as well. Not sure I can make a change but I at least wanted to start a ripple. There is a professor named Sir Ken Robinson who is trying to change schools. I read an article @ him & was excited to see someone doing something. If / when I make headway I'll let you know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Meltopia529:

Have you considered homeschooling?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN