Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Hello fellow moms I am new to this group and joined because I have 4 girls ages ranging from 15 months to 18.  I have a questions @ the school system. I am from a small town in Texas and am looking for a better education than the public school system can provide.  I have nothing against any of the teachers, its that they are taught to pass these state run tests and not really learning anything.  I know this because I have 18 year old twins, one excelled in school and did really well in all areas, where the other is more of a hands on kids. She felt weird, or left out, or "stupid" because she couldn't learn like her sister.  She hadn't passed Science since the 6th grade and I told them I wanted her to take summer school, they would not allow it because she passed the TAKS and that was all that mattered.  I still  have a 13 yr old and 15 month old, I want them to learn about real education, not things that were made in 19th century and behind that.  Do you know of any schools that have upgraded or that I can send my kids to? Or anything I can do to change this?  I feel we are sending these kids out into the world lost for the most part.  I hope I'm making sense.  My passion are my kids and seeing them do well in life and I personally feel let down for the taxes I pay and my kid still graduates high school not able to count back change.  Hope any of you can help.

thanks

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Replies (11-13):
Leelee1008
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My advice to you would be either home school or seek a privatly funded schooling, like charter. Private schools can be very expensive. We send our children to public school but I do know what you mean. its all about these test they take.

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Try a Montessori school, a real one (any place can use it but a real place will have certifications) and enroll them there if possible. They teach all three ways of learning: reading, writing, and doing. It is amazing education. Some areas have free ones in which your child will need to enter and be a part of a lottery drawing to get in (too late for this year) and there are some that you pay to get into and it can cost as little as a couple thousand a year to $15-25K a year.

black.eyeliner
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
When our school failed our two eldest kids we began homeschooling. Dramatic difference. K12 is a sort of homeschooling using public school systems. Maybe check that out? You get teacher support and all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)