Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

It seems like the school year just ended, and yet, back to school sales have been going strong for more than a month now. We've all pulled out shoes and jackets, backpacks and lunch boxes to head up the back to school march - but what about friends? After all, if you've got a yearbook nearby, it's undoubtedly full of "HAGS" (have a good summer) and "LYLAS" (love you like a sis) as well as the ever popular "KIT" (keep in touch). Some of those names and faces we remember as if it was yesterday - but some of them leave us scratching our heads. Who was that girl we vowed to never ever forget? What, exactly, happened in science class that left us rolling on the floor? What was the "incredibly funny" thing that Mr. Smith did in History?

We've all got those old friends who we remember from school - the boy you tutored through science class or the girl you ate lunch with every single day. If you are anything like me, you vowed, at the end of school, to keep in constant contact with, to never ever forget. Life has a funny way of happening, though, and soon enough, we have completely lost those "forever" friends.

Think of an old friend and how much he or she means to you. Do you still keep in contact with that person? If not, why? Facebook is a tremendous resource for that. I know that I personally have found several old schoolmates with whom I'd lost contact, and we've created a Facebook group to help us stay in touch. It's really amazing to see that the cheerleader isn't quite as slim and nubile as she once was, and that uber straight laced geek now sports a purple stripe in her hair.

If you know where those old friends are, take a minute to let them know you are thinking of them. Send a card, an email or a Facebook message and let them know how much they mean to you.

If you are still friends with that person, is that "years ago message" still valid? What would you say to them now?

©iStockphoto.com/Dean Mitchell

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-63):
Caramel824
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM
yes I still have very few childhood friends,the ones that survived the 80's it was a decade!!!
gracieb3
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I am still friends with my friends from elementary and high school. My closest friends besides my husband in order of closeness and listed in years(the length of our friendship) are ; 21 yrs, 19 yrs, 28 yrs, 21 yrs and 26 years. I'm only 35. =) I did reconnect with a preschool friend via facebook as she found my sister in law and then saw a holiday picture. We are more different than alike but it is nice to be in contact again and see how we grew. I have at least a dozen other 20-something-year friends but for the most part, I'm closest to my husband, my family and the 5 listed above. I have a good group of friends from college and work but life keeps us from building more.  I'm thankful for the 5 pseudo sisters I have and that life has blessed us all to have such an extended and now interwoven friendship. 

angel933
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

i hope you call  nanny 911

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN