Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

It seems like the school year just ended, and yet, back to school sales have been going strong for more than a month now. We've all pulled out shoes and jackets, backpacks and lunch boxes to head up the back to school march - but what about friends? After all, if you've got a yearbook nearby, it's undoubtedly full of "HAGS" (have a good summer) and "LYLAS" (love you like a sis) as well as the ever popular "KIT" (keep in touch). Some of those names and faces we remember as if it was yesterday - but some of them leave us scratching our heads. Who was that girl we vowed to never ever forget? What, exactly, happened in science class that left us rolling on the floor? What was the "incredibly funny" thing that Mr. Smith did in History?

We've all got those old friends who we remember from school - the boy you tutored through science class or the girl you ate lunch with every single day. If you are anything like me, you vowed, at the end of school, to keep in constant contact with, to never ever forget. Life has a funny way of happening, though, and soon enough, we have completely lost those "forever" friends.

Think of an old friend and how much he or she means to you. Do you still keep in contact with that person? If not, why? Facebook is a tremendous resource for that. I know that I personally have found several old schoolmates with whom I'd lost contact, and we've created a Facebook group to help us stay in touch. It's really amazing to see that the cheerleader isn't quite as slim and nubile as she once was, and that uber straight laced geek now sports a purple stripe in her hair.

If you know where those old friends are, take a minute to let them know you are thinking of them. Send a card, an email or a Facebook message and let them know how much they mean to you.

If you are still friends with that person, is that "years ago message" still valid? What would you say to them now?

©iStockphoto.com/Dean Mitchell

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Ultra_
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I'm still friends with the very close ones. I see them maybe once every couple of months. I just saw my old best friend this past week because she is moving for nearly two years. AHHH!

mama_l
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I am very lucky to have many old friends. The "8 of us" from middle / high school are all still in contact. We even graduated high school 19 years ago. We all try to get together twice a year as a big group for a beach day with the kids and an adult only farm to table potluck. We also all see each other separately and in little groups weekly. My BFF, who is not part of the 8 of us, has stuck by me for the past 35 years. As far as friends go I am extremely blessed. I couldn't have wished for a more amazing group of people to have in my life.
pamk5641
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

No. But I live on the same street as a "girl" I went to kindegarten with. She looks exactly the same as she did then but older and obviously smoking crack by the amount of cans and bottles her and her BF collect everyday at all hours of the morning. 

I'm glad I didn't travel down that road.

Bitchess
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Nope and I'm fine that way.

Twisties34
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I still see my best friend from HS almost every day, others I keep in contact with via FB.

signingmama2915
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I do not stay in contact woth anyone from high school except for the guy dh works with and its because he works with him. We were good friends but he's such a dick at work we don't really want him around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beeky
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Yep, we've been friends for over 30 years, since we were 14. 

I will be seeing her next week because we will both be heading home for a visit.  We grew up just down the street from each other.

wedding tickers

starandseen
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I don't keep in touch with my friends from high school.  I had a good friend from high school and stayed friends until a few years ago.  We'd e-mail almost every day while at our respective jobs and then when I was pregnant with my first and closer to my due date, her e-mails slowed down from many a day to a few a day to only once a day.  To this day, I do not know why she drifted away from our friendship.  I do not know if I said something wrong.  Our friendship was the kind in which we are able to talk about almost everything, from pop culture to our insecurities to guys; it was the ideal friendship for me.  And I do not know why she wanted to end it.  The timing coincided with my pregnancy but I cannot understand how that relates to our friendship.  She and I would still continue talking about subjects we had in common so I do not know why she wanted to end the friendship.  These days the only e-mail I receive from her is on my birthday; I am honestly surprised she chooses to acknowledge it.  Through that birthday e-mail I have tried to start conversation with her but she is not interested and only replies with one-liners, so I stopped trying.  It was a good friendship that I miss, the ideal unguarded friendship that I still seek today and have not found.

saltycoqui
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Recently found one who works  at a store I go to often. She asked me for my email. (she's never emailed me... she's too hooked on facebook and I don't use fb).

I tried to reconnect with some other old "friends" but it is amazing how much I have changed. I have grown and my priorities changed as I have grown and learned and became a mom.
Sorry to say, that if I could go back in time and re-pick my friends. I might not hang with the same people.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

My best friend of 35 years will be moving less then two hours from me within the next year!! I am so excited.

The best part of the story is, she is now engaged to her high school sweetheart! He moved to TN from NY in 1978 and they found each other again last year on facebook. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN