Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Preparing for School

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 33 Replies

Hi ladies,

What are some of the things your child is excited about for the upcoming school year? What concerns have your kids shared with you as the school year begins, and what are you doing to ease these worries?

teacher

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

He doesn't really understand and I don't think he will until he actually starts pre-k

Madelaine
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

No concerns this year.  My oldest is in eighth grade so she is just excited about that!

ceciliam
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Well, we just had this conversation yesterday and he is not excited about any part of going back to school. lol!

Bmat
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

They don't like that they are going to be made to study things they aren't interested in. I tell them of possible reasons, but they are resistant.

cljohnson511
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

My son will be in 5th grade this year.  This is his last year in elementary.  He did not get the teacher he was hoping for so he had a meltdown.  I think he has some anxiety and I have told him that he should try out this new teacher and that everything will work out.  He slept on it, and woke up with a more positive attitude.  Fingers crossed...

MamaMandee
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

My oldest two are excited and I think will be just fine. What Im worried about is my youngest who starts Pre-K. She has wanted to go to school since before she was 2 and she is super smart but Im worried about her being shy. We have been talking about it a lot. 

sukainah
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Mine already started and he wasn't very excited, but he was worried about kids saying mean things to him.  We talked about it and I told him he is always welcome to talk to me about it and we will try to find a solution.  So far he seems to be doing good and not having any problems.

sukainah
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Sounds like you did a good job reassuring him.  I'll bet he does just fine.

Quoting cljohnson511:

My son will be in 5th grade this year.  This is his last year in elementary.  He did not get the teacher he was hoping for so he had a meltdown.  I think he has some anxiety and I have told him that he should try out this new teacher and that everything will work out.  He slept on it, and woke up with a more positive attitude.  Fingers crossed...

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

he doesn't start until next year but he doesn't want to go.

LOswald0314
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Mine will start next year and he says he's excited....but we'll see :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)