Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

encouraging my almost 4yo son

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM
  • 5 Replies
Okay, so my son will be 4 in October. The last year or so he has been very negative in regards to being able to do things on his own. I try very hard to encourage him and ensure that he can do whatever it is he wants if he just practices. However, I also make it known that if he does need help, I'm there to assist him. For example, he tries to untie and take off his shoe, he starts yelling that he can't do it. I try to calm him with s soothing voice and talk him through it but he just gets upset. Another instance is when he's trying to unbutton a shirt.
I know he's young but is it normal to get so upset, am I doing something wring that he feels like a failure so early on?

Xo RadsMum oX
<3 Est. 2008 <3 

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sweetlyblissful
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM
I think the calm approach you are taking is good. Keep telling him how great he's doing at the things he feels he can doon his own. Help him when he needs it. Be patient with him...There will be a time when he will want to do it all on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadsMum
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

BUMP!

terri76
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I think what you are doing is what is right..my ds went through this around the same age...just give him the encouragement he needs and be there for him!!! Pretty soon these days will be long gone and when you want to help him he will not want you too ;-)

SabrinaLC
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM

This.  :-)

Quoting sweetlyblissful:

I think the calm approach you are taking is good. Keep telling him how great he's doing at the things he feels he can doon his own. Help him when he needs it. Be patient with him...There will be a time when he will want to do it all on his own.

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

Meltopia529
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I agree just keep being patient while showing him how to do thing. I know it can be tough at times. My almost 2 year old does this all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN