Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to School Fashions

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the first day of school. We weren't big shoppers in our house, and we only got new clothes for the first day of school, Christmas and Easter. So those new items were coveted and fawned over. I usually laid them across the end of my bed so that I could see them first thing in the morning and lay my eyes on them for the hours it might take to dose off in the evening.

One year, I was especially thrilled with my new school clothes. (Now, remember, I went to school in the 70's, so don't judge!) I had light purple corduroy knickers, a white blouse with a ribbon bow tie, and a pink and purple plaid blazer. I wore this outfit of wonder with white knee socks and, believe it or not, sneakers.

I was such a fashionable preteen. I had super straight - and super greasy! - hair, glasses and braces. Truly, it's amazing that I even made it out of middle school that year. The teasing was incredible.

Clothes can make or break your child at school, or so it seems. From popped collars to Izod alligators on shirts, from Levi jeans to Coach handbags - all types of things are "in" and then, just as quickly, "out". I've been super thankful that my children attend a school which requires uniforms. It makes for less arguments all around - both during the school year and also on a daily "get yourself dressed for school" basis. The use of uniforms, though, means that we don't get to experience the joys of back to school shopping for clothes - just for notebooks and pens, and those don't hold quite the same level of fascination as, let's say, locating a pair of "good butt" jeans.

Now that I have two older daughters in public high school, I can see the clothing writing on the wall. They have already decided their first day of school outfits, swapping this pair of jeans for that skirt, and tried on countless t shirts with multiple necklace choices. I don't know if they are worried about starting school at all - merely just worried about wearing the "right" thing.

Whatever the right thing is right now.

What do you remember most about your clothing for the first day of school? What’s been your most memorable outfit? Has your child picked anything that created a special memory?

©iStockphoto.com/RelaxFoto.de

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I was lucky enough to go to school when you were allowed to dress as an individual and not look like little clones of each other.

daerca574
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

We never had to wear uniforms or anything, don't remember much about anything particular.

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

we never had uniforms and we were allowed(as long as it didnt offend or hurt anyone) to wear whatever we wanted. i grew up in a big city in the public school system and they allowed us freedom while also teaching tolerance. we had kids who were covered in school and had other religious stuff that was respected. i live in a small town now and i dont think my daughter will enjoy the same diversity and acceptance i did, which is really sad. 

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM
One year... We had pretty silimlar outfits... It was cute!!
Bmat
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I wasn't very concerned. It was fun to wear new clothes, but I didn't worry about it.

slw123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I don't really remember a lot about any of my outfits for the first day of school, that was such a long time ago.

My daughter creates all kinds of memories with her crazy socks.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I mostly remember my Mom picking out our stuff when I was younger and arguing about the things that I wanted as I got older. We never had the money to buy the cool clothes that the other kids were wearing.
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

LOL I was in school all through the 90's I remember stretch pants and scrunchy socks with my hair flipped up in the front. Oh yeah and jellie shoes LOL. and neon colors LOL that was the wayyy early 90's. getting older my style evolved into very Baggy jeans and a tight fitting shirt that was my teenage punk rock look. oh yeah and diffrent color hair.

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM
We never had to wear uniforms
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I thought I would share my teenager look, this was the late 90's I was about 14(on the right)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)