Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the first day of school. We weren't big shoppers in our house, and we only got new clothes for the first day of school, Christmas and Easter. So those new items were coveted and fawned over. I usually laid them across the end of my bed so that I could see them first thing in the morning and lay my eyes on them for the hours it might take to dose off in the evening.

One year, I was especially thrilled with my new school clothes. (Now, remember, I went to school in the 70's, so don't judge!) I had light purple corduroy knickers, a white blouse with a ribbon bow tie, and a pink and purple plaid blazer. I wore this outfit of wonder with white knee socks and, believe it or not, sneakers.

I was such a fashionable preteen. I had super straight - and super greasy! - hair, glasses and braces. Truly, it's amazing that I even made it out of middle school that year. The teasing was incredible.

Clothes can make or break your child at school, or so it seems. From popped collars to Izod alligators on shirts, from Levi jeans to Coach handbags - all types of things are "in" and then, just as quickly, "out". I've been super thankful that my children attend a school which requires uniforms. It makes for less arguments all around - both during the school year and also on a daily "get yourself dressed for school" basis. The use of uniforms, though, means that we don't get to experience the joys of back to school shopping for clothes - just for notebooks and pens, and those don't hold quite the same level of fascination as, let's say, locating a pair of "good butt" jeans.

Now that I have two older daughters in public high school, I can see the clothing writing on the wall. They have already decided their first day of school outfits, swapping this pair of jeans for that skirt, and tried on countless t shirts with multiple necklace choices. I don't know if they are worried about starting school at all - merely just worried about wearing the "right" thing.

Whatever the right thing is right now.

What do you remember most about your clothing for the first day of school? What’s been your most memorable outfit? Has your child picked anything that created a special memory?

©iStockphoto.com/RelaxFoto.de

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
sukainah
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

That's awesome!

Quoting Leelee1008:

I thought I would share my teenager look, this was the late 90's I was about 14(on the right)

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I think my mom did most of it until I turned to my teen years then it was pretty much jeans and T-shirts.  One of my high school, back to school pics it seemed like I was going for the Mork from Ork look LOL

dusky_rose
by Sue on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The only time I got new clothes was for back to school. I grew up in the 70's too and remember lots of cute outfits that I wore back then. This is the shirt I think my son will wear on his first day of school this year. It says on it "I get my good looks from Daddy" it case you can't make it out. Sorry it's blurry. We were trying new stuff on, thats why the tag is still on it.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I don't really remember any of my back to school outfits.

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I was never allowed to pick a new outfit for the first day of school. 

SabrinaLC
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I never really chose something special and my son doesn't seem to either.

mandybean75
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM

we didn't have alot of money....but my dad had a small house near the beach of rehoboth,delaware before finances collasped. Each Fall I would start school with this awesome tan..and even though i was a nerd and very very shy..I think it was like 4th grade..i had this   butterscotch yellow jumper..and my friend had gone to Florida and brought me back these pretty silver and black earrings..I walked into school and heads turned..I even got approached by the coolest boy, and told I looked nice!! But that also began a bad time, when the most popular girl (who loved the popular boy) decided I was her nemesis. Recess meant standing alone while she invited all the other girls to climb the jungle gym..or get up and leave when I sat for lunch..So, I think for our little girl, we will raise her to wear what she wants (from Goodwill to help her with humility and kindness) and just stand tall in her faith and core no matter what. I was queen for a day..and the joker for the rest of my life.

aneela
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM

we always had uniforms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)