Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Tribute to Grandparents

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

I remember when I was a child and my mother told me that it was Grandparents Day. Rather than feel excitement for a holiday to celebrate some very special people in my life, I asked the question that all children do: "When is Children's Day?"

My mothers response of Every day is Children's Day! - didn't go over too well.

Grandparents are the second most important set of adults in your children's lives, coming of course after a child's parents. Typically, the bond that a child has with his or her grandparents is a very strong and close one. Children may find that they are separated from their grandparents by distance, but the love is always there. With Grandparent's Day approaching quickly, now is the perfect time to share your favorite memories of your children with their grandparents.

My own children are lucky enough to have three living grandparents, all of whom are present and active in their lives. They go on trips, Skype weekly, email daily and participate in phone calls, in person chats and swim time. It's comforting for me to know that my children have other adults who can fill in if I'm not available or if, God forbid, something happens to me.

My mother loves to read. Her birthday gift to my children every year is the opportunity to visit a bookstore and come home with new reads. My father is a big fan of ice cream. My kids still talk about the time that Grandpa took them for ice cream instead of lunch when we visited. My husband's father maintains a pool for them to swim in all summer long and sneaks them sodas when he thinks I'm not looking.

These types of memories are especially interesting to me as all three of those adults, as parents, were incredibly strict - it's nice to see the relaxation that they have come to as grandparents.

What are your fondest memories of your grandparents or of seeing your child interact with their grandparents? What lessons have they shared along the way?

iStockphoto.com/Timurpix

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I remember going to Shoneys every Saturday morning with my Grandpa. 

He also was the one who stayed home with me for a full semester of school when I was 10 and reptured spleene so I have lots of great memories with him that my brothers and sisters and cousins don't have and I am so thankful for that

Kainalu55
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I miss my grandparents, all but one have passed away.  

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM

cooking, baking .... patience is a virtue 

daerca574
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM

we did a lot of cooking and shopping.

goddess99
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

boating, traveling, camping are the memories I have of my grandparents.

Bmat
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I used to spend holidays and summers with my grandparents. These were wonderful times.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
My memories... Is our family vacations... There are too many to count.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

My grandparents passed away before I was born so no memories of them but we got my mom's often.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I was raised by my grandparents so most of my childhood memories include them. My grandfather has since passed and never got to see my children but my grandmom is still here and my kids LOVE her.

MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My fav memory that I have of spending time with my grandma is when I was about 9years old and while staying with my dad I got to go stay the night with her (I lived in Oregon & they both lived in Cali at the time). She took me to see Weekend at Bernie's and out to dinner. Not anything huge but I have looked back on it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)