Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I remember when I was a child and my mother told me that it was Grandparents Day. Rather than feel excitement for a holiday to celebrate some very special people in my life, I asked the question that all children do: "When is Children's Day?"

My mothers response of Every day is Children's Day! - didn't go over too well.

Grandparents are the second most important set of adults in your children's lives, coming of course after a child's parents. Typically, the bond that a child has with his or her grandparents is a very strong and close one. Children may find that they are separated from their grandparents by distance, but the love is always there. With Grandparent's Day approaching quickly, now is the perfect time to share your favorite memories of your children with their grandparents.

My own children are lucky enough to have three living grandparents, all of whom are present and active in their lives. They go on trips, Skype weekly, email daily and participate in phone calls, in person chats and swim time. It's comforting for me to know that my children have other adults who can fill in if I'm not available or if, God forbid, something happens to me.

My mother loves to read. Her birthday gift to my children every year is the opportunity to visit a bookstore and come home with new reads. My father is a big fan of ice cream. My kids still talk about the time that Grandpa took them for ice cream instead of lunch when we visited. My husband's father maintains a pool for them to swim in all summer long and sneaks them sodas when he thinks I'm not looking.

These types of memories are especially interesting to me as all three of those adults, as parents, were incredibly strict - it's nice to see the relaxation that they have come to as grandparents.

What are your fondest memories of your grandparents or of seeing your child interact with their grandparents? What lessons have they shared along the way?

iStockphoto.com/Timurpix

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
JakesMom712
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Everytime it would rain, my grandma would sing "the rain" song. I sing it to my ds now.

One day i was shopping with my grandparents, i saw a doll i just had to have. I threw the biggest fit over it. My grandma refused to get it for me. The next day when I came home from school, the doll was sitting on my bed. My grandpa had gotten it for me. He spoiled me. I still miss him. He died when I was 12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

My FIL lives with me, my DH and my youngest son. I like to watch my DS and FIL interact sometimes because they can get pretty silly. I think that having his grandson near helps him feel young at times.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Bmat
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

My maternal grandpa took us to the movies on holidays so the family adults could visit.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM

My granmother practically raised me until she passed away when I was 9. Every special moment of my childhood revolves around her. I have been so busy raising  a grandchild and now a great grandchild that I have not been able to be the grandmother I wanted to be, but I'm working on it!

KristinRox
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM

When I was a little girl I used to visit my grammy and granpy and I could walk there all by myself because they just lived around the corner from us. My grammy would always get out the chinese checkers and we'd play. She always had cookies that she baked ready in her cookie jar. My grampy used to huge me so hard that it hurt. 

The year I graduated from high school my grampy got pneumonia. When I went to visit him in the hospital he was out of it.. he told me "Dont worry Ill be at your wedding".. he meant my graduation. He died a week before I graduated. It was awful. 

My grammy and grampy taught me a lot about God, and religion, and about being a geniuine nice person. I love them both. My grandmother is 91 years old.. and its amazing how sweet and beautiful she still is. The world is a better place by having her in it. 

ShiLeaga
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

i love my GRANDPARENTS. although my grandfather passed away when i was young, i stil have the fondest memories of him. i remember taking him to his doctor appointments. i remember my first tricycle that he bought me and i can even remember his funeral. i love my grandpa and i will forever miss him.

As for my Grandmother...not a day goes by where i look at my daughter and wish my grandmother was here with us. My grandmother passed a month before my daughter was born. she spoiled me  and took me everywhere. not a day goes by where i dont think of her. i wish she was alive to see my kids cause she was the most awsome grandma EVER! she has taught to love my family and to always keep them together no matter what.

the way i see my kids interact with their grandparents just brings joy to my heart. my son loves his papa and my daughter adores both her grandparents. i just love it...

acuario25
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM
My 2 kid had a two weeks vacation with my motherinlaw. They were very happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetlyblissful
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

My Grandparent's on my mom's side always took us camping.  I also remember decorating cookies with her.

hunterskysmom
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM
my grandfather was a big influence in my life and there isn't a day that i don't think about him he was always there to talk when i couldn't talk to anyone else

my daughter has a good relationship with my parents better then what i had with em as for my dh parents they want to be grandparents when its convent for them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)