Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

I remember when I was a child and my mother told me that it was Grandparents Day. Rather than feel excitement for a holiday to celebrate some very special people in my life, I asked the question that all children do: "When is Children's Day?"

My mothers response of Every day is Children's Day! - didn't go over too well.

Grandparents are the second most important set of adults in your children's lives, coming of course after a child's parents. Typically, the bond that a child has with his or her grandparents is a very strong and close one. Children may find that they are separated from their grandparents by distance, but the love is always there. With Grandparent's Day approaching quickly, now is the perfect time to share your favorite memories of your children with their grandparents.

My own children are lucky enough to have three living grandparents, all of whom are present and active in their lives. They go on trips, Skype weekly, email daily and participate in phone calls, in person chats and swim time. It's comforting for me to know that my children have other adults who can fill in if I'm not available or if, God forbid, something happens to me.

My mother loves to read. Her birthday gift to my children every year is the opportunity to visit a bookstore and come home with new reads. My father is a big fan of ice cream. My kids still talk about the time that Grandpa took them for ice cream instead of lunch when we visited. My husband's father maintains a pool for them to swim in all summer long and sneaks them sodas when he thinks I'm not looking.

These types of memories are especially interesting to me as all three of those adults, as parents, were incredibly strict - it's nice to see the relaxation that they have come to as grandparents.

What are your fondest memories of your grandparents or of seeing your child interact with their grandparents? What lessons have they shared along the way?

iStockphoto.com/Timurpix

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
sukainah
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I remember both times my parents met my children for the first time.  My first son was born overseas so they were excited to meet this baby that had made them grandparents for the first time.

The second son, my mom cried and we cried together at the new life that was born that day.

They just don't spend a lot of time with their grandparents.  Though, my oldest got to spend the night with them for the first time last month and I think they was very fun for my mom and for my son.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM
I just spent the weekend with my parents due to the hurricane and I loved watching my kids interact with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

i totally miss my mom's mom...she was my heart...she died too young...i miss all her hugs and kindness

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM

i love that my kids get to see my in laws every week. they love going over there.

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM
My favorite memories of my grandparents are the summers that my mom and I spent with them. We would always take mini vacations while we were there, and my Granddaddy would always take me to baseball games too. My Grandmommy was a concert pianist in her youth and most of her adult life before arthritis hit so she would play and teach me how to play. I remember she only had one rule about her pianos..don't bang on the keys! Yesterday was the 19th anniversary of my Granddaddy's death. It still hurts :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I have fond memories of my paternal grandmother.  She always had fun activities for us to do.  Even though there were a bunch of us grandkids, she never showed favoritism.

meglennox
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM

growing up, my sister and i lived in NC.  my mom's parents, grandma and grandpa, lived in MI.  my dad's mom, nana, lived in NY.  so we didn't get to see them often.  my mom would take my sis and i up to MI most summers to spend a week or two.  it was always fun.  my grandparents made sure to have toys and games for all grandkids and we got to play with our cousins every time.  my fondest memory is when my sister and i flew up by ourselves one summer.  while there i lost 3 teeth. lol my grandma had to play toothfairy again after who knows how many years. ;)

mallowcup17
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

i loved my grandparents. my grandpa was my best friend growing up. my kids have a great relationship with my parents and my inlaws. i love it

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I have tons of fond memories with my grandparents and I think my kids will have many as well.  Even though it is a long distance between us and either set of parents we still try to maintain close contact. 

saraface5383
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM
My mema and papa are/were everything to me. They raised me and they are my parents. My papa just died of cancer in january and just writing this makes me want to throw up. I have so many great memories ita not even funny.
I cant walk into kmart without wanting little caesars and mcdonalds will never be the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN