Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How do You Handle "I Don't Wanna Go to School?"

Posted by   + Show Post

My boy is 7 and just starting the 2nd grade.  He's on the Autism Spectrum (High Functioning - not medicated) and we have a hard time with stuff anyway, but he's missing a friend he had last year, they've remodeled the school, his counsellor is gone and they've got someone new.  ... he wakes up every school day morning saying how much he hates school and he's sick and doesn't want to go.   I hate forcing him....    

What would you do??

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (21-24):
beinghappy
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Can you find something you're proud of that he does well at school and mention that?  Let him know that you empathize with him but that it doesn't change to fact that he needs to attend school.....

I have tried both of these with my strong-willed daughter to some measure of success....

Best wishes to both of you! 

mommythree0508
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting KaylaMillar:

We haven't had to deal with this yet. I'm sorry you have to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I'm not sure.  My daughter loves school so far.  Sorry you have to deal with this

Rushn311
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Too bad?!?!? but my child doesn't have autism so I don't know what to tell you about that one but I know that in some sense they shouldn't be treated differently as far as school is concerned. It's still important. Have you talked to his school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN