Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How do You Handle "I Don't Wanna Go to School?"

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 24 Replies

My boy is 7 and just starting the 2nd grade.  He's on the Autism Spectrum (High Functioning - not medicated) and we have a hard time with stuff anyway, but he's missing a friend he had last year, they've remodeled the school, his counsellor is gone and they've got someone new.  ... he wakes up every school day morning saying how much he hates school and he's sick and doesn't want to go.   I hate forcing him....    

What would you do??

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

My kids dont have autism.. I usually tell mine.. (after I make sure there is nothing going on at school like bullying) ... "you dont want to go to school" I dont want to hear you whine about it..

now with a child that has autism its different.. maybe can you talk to the counsellor, or even invite him to your house so your son can get to know him better.. also before putting him to bed.. say something positive about the next day... like: yeah tomorrow is going to be an awesome school day for (name of child)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM
I'm no help, my dd loves school and is disappointed that she can't go on the weekend! BUMP!
SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM

We haven't had to deal with that yet, thankfully.

I'm sorry you're dealing with it, such a tough situation.  

MamaMandee
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Is there anything he is enjoying about school? Maybe focus on that. Another idea is take him to buy something special that is just for school. 

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Its hard to be the meanie, but maybe you need to call the school so you can talk to his teacher and the principal about this. Its important for him not to miss school if at all possible. If you bring the school in on this, then they could give you ideas and you could work together as a team.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

notjstanothrmom
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

My son just started but I would tell him that if he didn't want to go to school he can stay home and be a 7 year old forever because kids who don't learn don't get to grow.

Obviously that won't work when they are older, but mine is only 5 and has never said that to me and does not have autism.

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM
We haven't had to deal with this yet. I'm sorry you have to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

My methods wont work for you, but when my two older sons were in highschool and would piss and moan about not wanting to go, I would point to the toilet brush and let them know it was either school or they would spend the day deep cleaning the entire house.

Needless to say, I was the only one ever cleaning. LOL

Delirium003
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:12 AM
I haven't dealt with this yet. Sorry I'm no help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I would find out if those are truly the only reasons he doesn't want to go or if something is going on, bullying..? I would go to the school with him and talk to the people he deals with daily to show him that they are nice and will help him through his day. I would definitely volunteer at the school often so he sees you there when he's walking in the hallways etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)