Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Budget - loss of income - how did you handle it?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever been in a situation where your spouse or yourself lost a job? How did you provide for your family?

I am about to become a stay at home mom....and this is very unexpected. I have to leave my job and it will cost our family $1600 a month that we cant afford to loose. *long story*

How did you work on your budgets?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
mrswillie
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Cut everything you can...Cable?satellite tv. If you have a landline and cell, get rid of one.  Hang dry your clothes. Use your crock & toast oven rather then regular stove and oven. Shop sales and clearance. Stop getting nails done, tanning, etc. Pack dh's lunch. Start buying generic.

Bmat
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Yes, and it turned out to be a good thing, I got another job that paid better.

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I would look at the cost of your mortgage or rent payment first.  Often those are the largest chunks that come out of a check so if you can sell your house for somethng smaller or rent something smaller it would probably help a lot.  Good luck.

Kainalu55
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:13 AM

when i was pregnant and going through pre-term labor I had to move to another island (our island didn't have the feacilities to deal with a preemie baby), and hubby moved with me.  He was without a job for 1 month and we had NO icome!

It was hard, but luckily we had some savings to live off of

Wish2Be
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Quoting mrswillie:

Cut everything you can...Cable?satellite tv. If you have a landline and cell, get rid of one.  Hang dry your clothes. Use your crock & toast oven rather then regular stove and oven. Shop sales and clearance. Stop getting nails done, tanning, etc. Pack dh's lunch. Start buying generic.

Well I do use the crock pot and toaster oven more than the stove , I also shop clearance and I use coupons, I dont get nails done or tanning or anything extra, and I always pack DHs lunch....I do buy lots of things generic also...especially if I dont have a coupon for it.

I dont think it would be wise to get rid of internet because I am going to try and find some kind of legit work from home option....and my cell is especially important for emergencies...so I dont know what we are going to do there.  All these are great tips!

CafeMom Tickers
kellynh
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Let go of what isn't essential.
Wish2Be
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quoting Kainalu55:

when i was pregnant and going through pre-term labor I had to move to another island (our island didn't have the feacilities to deal with a preemie baby), and hubby moved with me.  He was without a job for 1 month and we had NO icome!

It was hard, but luckily we had some savings to live off of

I really wish we had a savings :(

Glad you all made it out okay though :)

CafeMom Tickers
Rushn311
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

That's a tough one. Call up cable/phone companies and see if you can drop your bills down drastically...percentage rates down on credit cards. Living life way simpler is what will have to happen.

Shop sales, use coupons, make menus for meals so you only buy what you need to. I wish you good luck hun!!

Oh I babysit on the side for money-maybe you can try that?

SarrinaRaynne
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

When my SO and I met I knew he was out of work. He moved in and I took another mouth into my budget along with his two children on his visitation times every wednesday, and every other friday-sunday I was feeding 4 on my salary; then we had our son and baby makes 5.  

We cut out alot but not all going out. We kept date night monday's (our first date was a monday) we can get dinner out for about $10 and then go to the park for  a walk or a drive around town just something low key and keeping it under the $10. This way we still make us a priority and a perk in our budget. With this in mind I also get us things from groupon and living social these sites offer goods and services for a fraction of the pricing.. like this morning I got a groupon for 10$ of frozen yogurt at TCBY for $5 - but I had a 5$ credit for using the groupon app on my phone so $10 of yogurt is now free. By shopping these deals I can stretch the thin budget to get a few perks here or there so the kids don't feel like we never get to go anywhere or do anything.

The smithsonian museums sponser free museaum days every few months.. this is a great way to take the kids all to the children's museaum for the day for free saving a TON of money and letting them play all day. - look for their website and sign up for the reminders.  It's not just childrens museums that are free that day.. there are like 30,000 museums that become free to enter that day with the printed voucher and 1 adult and 1 child get in for free... have your so sign up also to get a second child in free.

If we have the kids and absolutely need to eat out because of schedules and after school events look up what nights kids eat free around your area. Then teach the children we drink water when we are out not soda  (that'll save you up to 2.50 per child). Mom and dad who are more budget aware can chose things on the menu that fit within the budget and the kids can eat free from the kids menu. Frequently... we cheat and I eat my step sons kids meal and he eats the adult meal.

I clip coupons, and price match the heck out of poor WalMart. I signed up for about 8 blogs that go through all the store ads around me and list the best deals and coupons that you can use against those things to get the best pricing. That saves me a lot of time doing it myself and driving because I already know if one store isn't going to help the shopping this week so I don't drive there to get the paper ad.

We don't go to movies we rent them from redbox if we have a coupon code and I have a netflix subscription that way the kids can get movies that are newish for 8 dollars a month rather than 10 dollars per person.

We go on fieldtrips to parks and have a picnic rather than hitting the mall and getting fast food. We shop our local farmer's market and do the best we can. I couldn't breast feed so we took advantage of every single time gerber or similac sent the formula voucher/coupons.

BaBa1123
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

You look to see what really matters and try to find things that are free like the library for books and movies and do away with cable and eating out.   Unfortunately the cheaper foods are not the greatest nutrition for the kids so if you but a lot of pasta try to put in as much vegetables that  you can.  Bartering with your neighbors help out.  Like if you babysit maybe they can do some home improvements for you or cut the lawn or you go food shopping or clean the house they will do something that you need.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)