Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Seeking advice on being positive when you are the only parent they have.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
  • 12 Replies

I recently became a widow. As you can imagine it turned our world upside down. My husband was military, so when he passed we had to move back to the states, on top of a million other things that changed. I was a SAHM, but now I have to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. So with all these things to figure out, I have the huge pressure of parenting to two kids who lost their father. The question is how do I positively parent when I have to do it alone.

Any advice is welcome!

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I have been a widow for 11 years and been a SAHM all 12 years of my daughters life. It can be challenging at times , but stand ground and make things as easy as you can for your children they will thank you for it when they are older.

Always.Lovely.
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. ; (. I wanted to suggest family counseling and individual for yourself. This way everyone can learn some coping skills. Your therapist can also give you some ideas for parenting by yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. hugs

Meltopia529
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry. I agree with counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

So very sorry for your loss. Counseling is a good start.

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I'm going to have to agree with the other ladies on the counseling.  Talking will really help.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. :-( I agree with the counseling and making sure you have the support system that you need in place. Hugs mama!

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

copperswifey
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I think this is great advice! I think counselling could benefit your whole family. If you do seek counseling, look for a counselor who has training in grief counseling, especially grief counseling with children if available. If your children seem depressed and you are concerned, you can always talk with your child's pediatrician as another option. 

I'm very sorry for your loss! My heart breaks for you. Being a single parent and having to deal with such a big loss isn't going to be easy, but you can and will do it.  Best of luck to you and your children. ~hugs~

Quoting Always.Lovely.:

I'm very sorry for your loss. ; (. I wanted to suggest family counseling and individual for yourself. This way everyone can learn some coping skills. Your therapist can also give you some ideas for parenting by yourself.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Being a single parent is hard, but it does get easier. My best advice is lead by example.

I am sorry for your loss.

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hugs to you.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't really answer your question because I haven't been there but maybe if you find a support group for other parents who have been in your position they may be able to help out a lot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)