Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Let's Eat!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 96 Replies

When my daughter was younger, she loved shrimp. She still does, but it was much more fun to watch her eat them when she was a three year old toddler. It was awesome to see this little teeny girl, busy with a plate of shrimp. She'd peel and peel, industriously stacking the shrimp on her plate - and when she'd finished with the peeling, she'd pop them all into her mouth as fast as she could. 

One evening, we had a co worker of my husband's over for dinner. I placed plates of chilled shrimp in front of each person at the table, and went to sit at my husband's side. The adults were busy talking, and no one really paid much mind to the children, who were, miraculously, eating quietly and not interrupting. My little daughter, seated to our guest's right, reached over and pulled on his sleeve.

"Mister! Mister! Don't eat the tails!", she said, pointing to his plate - and when he looked down, it was to discover that she'd quietly eaten all of his shrimp, returning the empty tails to a neat pile on the plate. 

We still laugh about this story every time we have shrimp. It's become a family joke, and it's one my daughter may never live down. She's already promised that she's not going to have shrimp served at her wedding reception - the teasing will be too great.

Kids are always full of fun at the dinner table. They can often help you turn a kitchen disaster or an embarrassment into a memorable experience. They may not be well behaved all of the time, but, often, in their misbehavior can appear some of the best family memories. Often, we strive to serve a "perfect" meal, but in the imperfections are often found the most fabulous times.

Have you ever experienced a funny “dinner disaster” with your family? What funny surprises have made mealtime a special occasion in your household?

©iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristinRox
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I cant think of any dinner disasters, especially none that would have made it a special occasion. There has been the odd burned grill cheese or the once in a while overcooked pasta, but nothing too much. 

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM
4 moms liked this
When my dd dumped a whole bottle of pepper in the spaghetti sauce and didn't say a word...rotfl!!!
ceciliam
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Hhhmmm, I don't have any stories like that to share. Cute story, though.

hunterskysmom
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM
What a cute story but i have none to share
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM

we have simple dinners so no funny disasters really

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I honestly can't think of any.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I am looking forward to reading the posts.

Bmat
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

That is funny!! LOL!  We had dinner at a friend's house, and she had made the main course much too spicy, but my kids, being very polite, ate it anyway. The adults could barely get it down. I was so proud of my boys, and sorry that for them for eating that hot dish, too.

.Angelica.
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

lol. I can't think of any stories right now.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hmmm...can think of any....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)