Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When my daughter was younger, she loved shrimp. She still does, but it was much more fun to watch her eat them when she was a three year old toddler. It was awesome to see this little teeny girl, busy with a plate of shrimp. She'd peel and peel, industriously stacking the shrimp on her plate - and when she'd finished with the peeling, she'd pop them all into her mouth as fast as she could. 

One evening, we had a co worker of my husband's over for dinner. I placed plates of chilled shrimp in front of each person at the table, and went to sit at my husband's side. The adults were busy talking, and no one really paid much mind to the children, who were, miraculously, eating quietly and not interrupting. My little daughter, seated to our guest's right, reached over and pulled on his sleeve.

"Mister! Mister! Don't eat the tails!", she said, pointing to his plate - and when he looked down, it was to discover that she'd quietly eaten all of his shrimp, returning the empty tails to a neat pile on the plate. 

We still laugh about this story every time we have shrimp. It's become a family joke, and it's one my daughter may never live down. She's already promised that she's not going to have shrimp served at her wedding reception - the teasing will be too great.

Kids are always full of fun at the dinner table. They can often help you turn a kitchen disaster or an embarrassment into a memorable experience. They may not be well behaved all of the time, but, often, in their misbehavior can appear some of the best family memories. Often, we strive to serve a "perfect" meal, but in the imperfections are often found the most fabulous times.

Have you ever experienced a funny “dinner disaster” with your family? What funny surprises have made mealtime a special occasion in your household?

©iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (91-96):
SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Today!

I ended up throwing flour back to her, and we were covered in flour by the end.

Then we did wash.

The end.

slightlyperfect

TXColter
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM

hmmmm...... at least.

Quoting Carolina_D:

Couldn't you have washed it again? At least.

Quoting TXColter:

my 4 yr old son was messing around in the kitchen while I was making a salad and wanted to know what was in the big bowl on the counter, so he pulled it over and all the lettuce fell out and I was mad because that was all the lettuce I had, so I scooped it up and put it back in the bowl and served it to my husband!  he was mad when I told him and wondered why I wasn't having any salad!

Sara_
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

When my kids were younger, a friend invited us over for dinner even though she had just had dental surgery the same day. During the meal she kept needing to change a gauze pad in her mouth that would we watched, queasily, gradually turn red with blood! We passed on dessert and left as soon as we could.

nova.mommy
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Not so much a disaster as a funny day.  It was Thanksgiving.  My parents had gone on vacation, so we were at my brother's and SIL's house.  Their dog was very pregnant and they said months before that they would have to stay home.  Well the dog decided to have the puppies the night before and into the early morningThanksgiving morning.  Needless to say it was a rather low key meal.  Nothing instills family time like the aroma of new born pups that pee all over the place and on each other.   NOT.

Meltopia529
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Lol love some of these
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

What a cute story.  I can't think of any of my own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)