Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When my daughter was younger, she loved shrimp. She still does, but it was much more fun to watch her eat them when she was a three year old toddler. It was awesome to see this little teeny girl, busy with a plate of shrimp. She'd peel and peel, industriously stacking the shrimp on her plate - and when she'd finished with the peeling, she'd pop them all into her mouth as fast as she could. 

One evening, we had a co worker of my husband's over for dinner. I placed plates of chilled shrimp in front of each person at the table, and went to sit at my husband's side. The adults were busy talking, and no one really paid much mind to the children, who were, miraculously, eating quietly and not interrupting. My little daughter, seated to our guest's right, reached over and pulled on his sleeve.

"Mister! Mister! Don't eat the tails!", she said, pointing to his plate - and when he looked down, it was to discover that she'd quietly eaten all of his shrimp, returning the empty tails to a neat pile on the plate. 

We still laugh about this story every time we have shrimp. It's become a family joke, and it's one my daughter may never live down. She's already promised that she's not going to have shrimp served at her wedding reception - the teasing will be too great.

Kids are always full of fun at the dinner table. They can often help you turn a kitchen disaster or an embarrassment into a memorable experience. They may not be well behaved all of the time, but, often, in their misbehavior can appear some of the best family memories. Often, we strive to serve a "perfect" meal, but in the imperfections are often found the most fabulous times.

Have you ever experienced a funny “dinner disaster” with your family? What funny surprises have made mealtime a special occasion in your household?

©iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bob192
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I've set off the smoke alarm several times, that always makes for interesting entertainment!!  There have been a couple of times my kids fell asleep in their food, literally!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I don't recall ever having any dinner disasters.
mrswillie
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
5 moms liked this

When I was a kid, my mother gave me the head of lettuce to "wash". I washed it with Ivory soap.

saraface5383
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
All I can think of is when I was going to vegas i was leaving the boys with dh for the weekend abd my oldest kept asking" how are we going to eat!" i said daddy is going to cook and he got this horrified look on his face and was like "WHAT!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, that is so cute.  I can't think of any dinner disasters from my kids yet but my grandparents used to love to tell the story of the time they took me to a resturant when I was 2 and I was so hungry I was crying and a nice person came over and gave me a piece of bread and I was happy and content then, lol. 

meglennox
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM

i love this! lol when was it figured out what you had done?

Quoting mrswillie:

When I was a kid, my mother gave me the head of lettuce to "wash". I washed it with Ivory soap.

mrswillie
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting meglennox:

i love this! lol when was it figured out what you had done?

Quoting mrswillie:

When our sandwiches tasted like soap!

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

jessicasmom1
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

DD cracking all you can eat crabs and trying to suck them out of the shells priceless

Leelee1008
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

We have had a few but none that have totally topped the list as unforgetable yet.

mamivon2
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

not really.. we rather boring when it comes to dinner time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN