Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When my daughter was younger, she loved shrimp. She still does, but it was much more fun to watch her eat them when she was a three year old toddler. It was awesome to see this little teeny girl, busy with a plate of shrimp. She'd peel and peel, industriously stacking the shrimp on her plate - and when she'd finished with the peeling, she'd pop them all into her mouth as fast as she could. 

One evening, we had a co worker of my husband's over for dinner. I placed plates of chilled shrimp in front of each person at the table, and went to sit at my husband's side. The adults were busy talking, and no one really paid much mind to the children, who were, miraculously, eating quietly and not interrupting. My little daughter, seated to our guest's right, reached over and pulled on his sleeve.

"Mister! Mister! Don't eat the tails!", she said, pointing to his plate - and when he looked down, it was to discover that she'd quietly eaten all of his shrimp, returning the empty tails to a neat pile on the plate. 

We still laugh about this story every time we have shrimp. It's become a family joke, and it's one my daughter may never live down. She's already promised that she's not going to have shrimp served at her wedding reception - the teasing will be too great.

Kids are always full of fun at the dinner table. They can often help you turn a kitchen disaster or an embarrassment into a memorable experience. They may not be well behaved all of the time, but, often, in their misbehavior can appear some of the best family memories. Often, we strive to serve a "perfect" meal, but in the imperfections are often found the most fabulous times.

Have you ever experienced a funny “dinner disaster” with your family? What funny surprises have made mealtime a special occasion in your household?

©iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Willow.wind
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this
A few years ago had I Christmas dinner for the in laws like 15 of us everyone sat @ beautiful x mas table all set w/ my wedding china & food.& roses & lit candles.. I was getting last finishing touches... Rolls out of oven & they all slid off baking sheet to the ground.... Everyone saw From the table... I look up & someone said quick 30 second rule!!! So sweet they knew I was trying hard... We ate the rolls that fell on the floor
ambr2006
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanksgving last year we were invited to dinner at my uncle who is pretty large, I'd say 450. He always get the drumsticks from the turkey and no one would ever dare try to intervene. well my brother got the drumstick and figured my uncle would understand....wrong! this 56 year old man cried for like two hours. He was yelling my brother broke the tradition. what tradition? You getting the huge drumsticks off the turkey was a tradition? I was laughing all the way home.

hhhanna
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM

When I was young, one of my first Thanksgiving dinners that I put on for the family including MIL.  I put the turkey in the oven, didn't go through the directions real closely because THE TURKEY HAD A POPOUT TIMER.  Heck, I had watched my folks make the dinner many years in a row, you just kept checking and bingo the thingie pops out and your turkey is done - works without a flaw.  Unless of course, you're trying to cook for the MIL.  So like almost 8 hours later (and it was a small bird), the damn thing still hasn't popped out.  I decide, hmmmm, maybe something is wrong, I take it out of the oven to cut into it to see if it's done, the moment the knife touched the bird - bing, the timer pops out, arrrrgh.  The bird was dry, dry, dry we slathered it with gravy, tried every other trick known to mankind, it was a disaster, only the pumpkin pie made it tolerable.

twocrazykids
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I had decided to host Thanksgiving the first year in my home. We had lived here just one month. Dinner was for about 18 of my family members. Did all the prep, brined the turkey the night before everything was pretty much set. Wake T-day am...get mr Tom in the pan....guess what? He didn't fit in my oven.....so I called my mom....drove Tom to her house....a 30 minute ride. Got him in the oven and left her explicit directions on how to cook him "my" way. Ran home....set table, put together casseroles. Ran back to pick up turkey (mom could not lift him....thanks arthritis) I get back home and family is here....dh peeling potatoes (yea forgot about those) into the sink....no prob....we can microwave. Peels down disposer...nope...backs up the entire plumbing. Water was everywhere, sink backed up that bad....We went to carve Tom....realized he was in the pan UPSIDE DOWN....finally got to eat...with my entire family teasing me. ;) All the ladies dragged everything downstairs, crammed into my laundry room and did the dishes in the laundry sink!!!! Then the guys (post turkey coma, of course) helped drag everything back upstairs. It was a huge comedy show!!!! Good thing my peeps are all good sports!!!! :) That is my dinner disaster that I have heard about ever since.....and it was 16 years ago.......

CBMMOM
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Quoting Bmat:

That is funny!! LOL!  We had dinner at a friend's house, and she had made the main course much too spicy, but my kids, being very polite, ate it anyway. The adults could barely get it down. I was so proud of my boys, and sorry that for them for eating that hot dish, too.

Aww..what nice kids! : ) This reminds me of a story. It's not about a kid though. A friend of ours came over. I poured all of us each a cup of coffee. He was the first to drink any. He took a couple sips before we had. Turns out our water softener had messed up somehow and our water was extremely salty.  So was the coffee. We asked him why he didn't say anything. He said he just thought we put salt in our coffee and he was going to drink it to be polite. He's a very nice person,obviously. : )

1smartcookie
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

My father once put paprika in the applesauce, mistaking it for cinnamon.

Phillymama123
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

One year on Easter, my mom made a lemon chess pie.  It was amazing.  But she was freaking out because she forgot some ingredient...maybe milk?  So she made it again for...whatever the next holiday was.  And remembered the milk.  it was awful, by comparison.

Also, this year on Thanksgiving, my God-mom brought a "really excellent bottle of wine she was given as a gift years ago."  So we adults decided to save it and have it after dessert.  So...we tried to open it. And the cork crumbled. Turned out she stored it upright in a window for almost 10 years.  It was vinegar.  I laughed but her daughter (who brought her new bf to dinner...he's really into wine) was SO EMBARASSED.  Good times.

flowrsgalore
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

We were eating dinner with my mothers aunt, a catholic nun.  My father, not a devout person, says "will you pass the oh my god I can't believe it's not butter". It was just kind of a running joke that we called that yellow tub of margarine stuff by that long name.  Well everyone's jaw dropped, like what kind of buffoon says this in front of a nun? She laughed, then we all relaxed.

skir
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend's son made Kool-Aid with salt instead of sugar .. we didn't find out till we sat down to eat and the kids were spiting it out like spray cannons

skir
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

My brother in-law cooked a turkey with all the  inards bag still in the  inside

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)