Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When my daughter was younger, she loved shrimp. She still does, but it was much more fun to watch her eat them when she was a three year old toddler. It was awesome to see this little teeny girl, busy with a plate of shrimp. She'd peel and peel, industriously stacking the shrimp on her plate - and when she'd finished with the peeling, she'd pop them all into her mouth as fast as she could. 

One evening, we had a co worker of my husband's over for dinner. I placed plates of chilled shrimp in front of each person at the table, and went to sit at my husband's side. The adults were busy talking, and no one really paid much mind to the children, who were, miraculously, eating quietly and not interrupting. My little daughter, seated to our guest's right, reached over and pulled on his sleeve.

"Mister! Mister! Don't eat the tails!", she said, pointing to his plate - and when he looked down, it was to discover that she'd quietly eaten all of his shrimp, returning the empty tails to a neat pile on the plate. 

We still laugh about this story every time we have shrimp. It's become a family joke, and it's one my daughter may never live down. She's already promised that she's not going to have shrimp served at her wedding reception - the teasing will be too great.

Kids are always full of fun at the dinner table. They can often help you turn a kitchen disaster or an embarrassment into a memorable experience. They may not be well behaved all of the time, but, often, in their misbehavior can appear some of the best family memories. Often, we strive to serve a "perfect" meal, but in the imperfections are often found the most fabulous times.

Have you ever experienced a funny “dinner disaster” with your family? What funny surprises have made mealtime a special occasion in your household?

©iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
cookinmommyof1
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
i made bakes eggplant wedges with a herb seasoning. i had never made eggplant before, and after talking to my sister after dinner, she informed me that when it is cooked slowly, it turnes mushy. well when ds (3yo) got to that part of dinner, she pokes it with a fork, and says "mommy, why on earth would you serve boogers for dinner?!" i dont know if id really call it a disaster, since everything else we had for dinner was delicious, but it was hilarious hearing ds ask about the dinner boogers. lmao
Bluetick
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

cant recall a disaster

Jeckers
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I can only think of my first Thanksgiving turkey.  I left the bag in the turkey cavity!!!  And I wondered why it took longer to cook!!  It was kinda gross, but my now ex-husband thought it was hilarious!!  :)  

shay0810
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:43 AM
One sunday my rolls refused to raise... Dinner rolls are STILL referred to as "hockey pucks" at my house... "
christina259
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats such a cute story. love it. I don't think mine is that good but my son is always a clown. He seems to take lifes not so finer moments and turn it into something funny. I love that about him. Anyway, the first memory I have was when we were at a restaurant with friends and he got  hold of a lemon. He was two....maybe a little younger. The face was hilarious. We were all dying but we started something that day. He kept doing it to make us laugh through out dinner. It was obviously pure torture to him but he'd try to smile through that awful face because he was making us laugh.Then the waitress came by and he looked straight at her and sucked on a lemon and gave her that  horrible but I'm still trying to fake a smile face. She was laughing too. Don't know if it sounds all that funny but you had to see that face. Best lemon face ever.

Another one was while I was cooking. I took a chair from the table to sit by the stove.(yes my feet hurt that bad that day,lol) When I set the table I forgot to put it back. When we all sat down, he was already there before us. I looked up and saw a hand coming over the side of the table with a spoon to eat. No head, or body, just his hand. He was sitting on the floor (being a wise guy) because mama stole his chair.

jdmom2002
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband works outside. It was an exceptionally cold day.  A friend and her husband were coming over for dinner, so we decided that since it was so cold we would make chili.  We both had colds so we just kept adding chili powder.  My husband and hers came home freezing.  When we started eating they were still wearing their sweatshirts. (They both had on like 3 shirts.) By the time they were done with their bowl of chili, they were down to their tshirts and were sweating.  lol it was so funny.  Now everytime I get a cold my husband tells me absolutely no chili! I told him we just wanted to warm them up, so what if it was from the inside out.lolangryThe chili was so hot they looked kind of like this sweetpea. lol

kathrynmlise
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We lost power at Thanksgiving once and my Mom tried to finish the turkey in the fireplace! Ummmm.....it didn't work. We ordered a pizza!

cbk_mom3
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The only thing I can think of is that years ago, my aunt was married to a rancher, and for Thanksgiving, they wanted to furnish the turkey for the family dinner. So, a day or so before, my aunt brought me this turkey already dressed and ready to cook. I cooked it on Thanksgiving, and when we cut into it, we all almost vomited. She had forgotten to remove the craw, so when we cut into it, there was all this half eaten corn, grain, and such still inside. It was GROSS! At least my Grandma had also made a ham, so the dinner wasn't a total loss.

texasmom73
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

The first time I cooked for my now SO, the pryrex dish exploded after taking it out of the oven.  I placed it on the electric burner, not knowing it was still on.  I took it off and placed it on the counter.....within a minute the meal was all over the place!!!  He helped me clean it up and went and picked something up.  He loves telling people that story.

MomofBoys838
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I can't think of one particular thing, but I love our family dinners....we tease, and laugh so much....every conversation is different and fun  :)

ladybugMarie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)