Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Walking to school

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 10 year old ask me to allow him to walk to school alone. So this week I am letting him and so far, so good. The school is 5 minutes from our apartment, so he doesn't have to walk too far alone. 

How do you feel about kids walking to school by themselves?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jujubear1
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I'd be more comfortable if walking w/a friend, but my 14 y/o has walked to school by himself before.  If he walks home, he usually is walking w/a friend.  He is also adult sized lol so I'm not too worried about anyone trying to mess w/him other than maybe other kids that have picked on him at school.

mommyT001
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

My daughter is the same age and I worry to much so I don't think I would let her walk by herself. But she had to one time because I was running late to pick her up and she ran the whole way home crying :-( it was only a block and a half but I don't think shes ready yet

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM
In our area it's not an option since there aren't any sidewalks and the schools are too far. Otherwise, I'd say it depends on the area where you live, the maturity of the child and the distance that they have to walk.
terri76
by Terriny on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM
With as close as you live i would totally be ok with it. I would be scaredbut would probably let my ds do it...he is 16 and looks like an adult lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:43 AM

I think it can be okay sometimes.

For example my son is only 6 so walking is definitely not going to happen.  Plus he'd have to cross a fairly busy 4 lane highway.  

I don't actually know where the middle school is, lol, so I suppose my thoughts may change then.

I use to walk to school with my oldest brother.  It was a fairly long walk though.

Delirium003
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

My son started walking to school, with a friend, in 1st grade.  He's now a 3rd grader.  We live 3 blocks from his school.  I was anxious for the first week or so, now its ok.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Ive never lived close enough to a school for my kids to walk. If we did I wouldnt have had a problem with it.

Meltopia529
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I would walk with my son. Mines only 2 though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hunterskysmom
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM
I would if she had a friend with her that i trusted but not alone in this day and age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaBa1123
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

10 years old walking by himself is too young in my opinion.  He should have a walking companion, be it a friend or neighbor but no 10 years old and 5 minutes away anything can and might happen.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)