Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

"My way or the Highway! "

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

i need some assistance on changing my 4 year old daughters behavior, she canbe a sweety, but most of the time shes attitudy and talk back alot, she thinks its her way or the highway? and ive tried everything i know of,.. but nothing worked. she stil acts like this and i dont know how to fix it? shees like that because her daddy would go behind me when he had her on weekends and tell her yes yes yes.. now when i tell her no, the whole world ends,  i mean fits, tantrums, yelling at me.. saying she hates me already, and i need some advice on how to make her realize momy is boss? anyone have any ideas?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aniyasmom2011
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

In situations like this mom,I would really handle it right now. She's to the age where she knows right from wrong and I'm telling you the problem will get bigger. Sit her down and talk with her. Enforcement maybe needed to let her know you are the adult. I DO NOT ENCOURAGE YOU TO BEAT YOUR CHILD BUT SIMPLY ACT LIKE THE ADULT. You tell her something ONLY ONCE and the second time it's punishment time. You must know how to punish her the right way not the wrong way. DO NOT CURSE OR HIT HER IN NO KIND OF BAD WAY. Encourage your child's father to simply be the adult as well. If he can't follow through with that then he may not need to see her until further notice. Let me know if this helps.

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:50 AM

You need to talk to her father.  He needs to realize he can't give her everything she wants all of the time.

Then you need to talk to her.  Explain to her that you are her mommy and she needs to listen.  Let her know what her punishment will be, for example: timeout.  When she misbehaves give her a warning and next time it's straight to timeout.  Her timeout should last 4 minutes, they recommend 1 minute per year of age.  

Meltopia529
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Time outs! And follow through everytime. Her dad needs to follow the same rules @ his place too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Totally This!!!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

You need to talk to her father.  He needs to realize he can't give her everything she wants all of the time.

Then you need to talk to her.  Explain to her that you are her mommy and she needs to listen.  Let her know what her punishment will be, for example: timeout.  When she misbehaves give her a warning and next time it's straight to timeout.  Her timeout should last 4 minutes, they recommend 1 minute per year of age.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby1991
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

well thanks guys, but ive tried all that, and her father is no longer in her life now.. several months back he just up and walked away from her, and i think thats partly why she acts so badly.. but i am having a hard time dealing with the new attitude im getting from her.. shes almost always in timeout, almost always getting talked to.. i have even gone to the point of begging her to stop.. i know she doesnt understand, but she does understand she is doing wrong, thats why she  when she does something bad, then immediatly hides her butt. cause no i do not beat my kid, but sshe does get a swat on the butt from time to time,.... i am still trying to find something to help her, and me.. but so far nothing is working... thank you though for all your replys... :)

BaBa1123
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I am sorry her father is out of her life, hopefully you have some help with other family members.  When your child does misbehave it is important to let her know what comes next and follow through even if it means she stays in her room all of the nite.  She will cry, kick, and scream but you must let her go through all of this and not give in to her.  As you do this the misbehaviors will slow down eventually.  Patience will be needed I suggest a good set of headphones with your favoirte music while she is screaming she will see that being alone in her room with no mommy and no toys is not fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN