Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you deal with sleep apnea or know someone who does?

I was just diagnosed with it on tuesday. I have to go back to the sleep lap this friday night and I am not thrilled about it. I'm not even sure what they are going to do this visit. I got stuck with a neurologists who is in to big of a hurry to sit and talk with a patient. :/

Can you tell me what I have to look foward to? I know I will have to sleep with one of those machines but I am not really sure I will be able to handle that.

My nerves are totally shot at this point. HELP! Can someone please ease my mind?!

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Replies (11-17):
sweetmissy_05
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

My ex had sleep apnea for the longest time then he has surgery and it got fixed.

Delirium003
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM
My mom has it. She has to wear a CPAP machine at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

It looks like I will be wearing one now too. Slept with one last night...it was strange, but not as bad as I imagined. 

Quoting Delirium003:

My mom has it. She has to wear a CPAP machine at night.

katiekiwi
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My husband his 2 brothers and father all have it.  When he went to the sleep lab he said they hooked him up to the machine.  He didnt get much sleep because they are always waking him.  But as it turned out he would wake up (not REM?) 20 times in 1 minute.  He has the sleep machine now  he sleeps great with it but the sound of it keeps me up.  I have to fall asleep before him and then it wont bother me.  His 2 brothers recently got the surgery to fix it.  One brother loved it and feels so much better the other brother not so much.  And as for my father in law  he got so annoyed in the sleep lab that he left in the middle of the night and has not gone back lol.  Good luck though!  I must say since hes been sleeping with the machine hes been much less moody.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Thanks. I had to sleep with the machine last night and they said I would be able to tell today if it made any difference. I guess time will tell. 

Quoting katiekiwi:

My husband his 2 brothers and father all have it.  When he went to the sleep lab he said they hooked him up to the machine.  He didnt get much sleep because they are always waking him.  But as it turned out he would wake up (not REM?) 20 times in 1 minute.  He has the sleep machine now  he sleeps great with it but the sound of it keeps me up.  I have to fall asleep before him and then it wont bother me.  His 2 brothers recently got the surgery to fix it.  One brother loved it and feels so much better the other brother not so much.  And as for my father in law  he got so annoyed in the sleep lab that he left in the middle of the night and has not gone back lol.  Good luck though!  I must say since hes been sleeping with the machine hes been much less moody.

tiabear13
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
My husband has it, and he had to do the same test as you - from the sound of it. He said it was uncomfortable because of sleeping with stuff on you and knowing people were there. But, it was only one bight. And, it ended up being a really good thing because he got this sleep machine that helps him at night. It's a mask and yes - the initial thought of wearing it all the time was daunting. BUT, after just a night or 2 of wearing it, he noticed a HUGE difference in his energy and everything! The machines have gotten really good over the years, so I hardly hear it. And, I can definitely tell when he doesn't wear it (if he falls asleep before he puts it on)

Good luck with the test and make that dr sit with you to explain. Or, talk to the nurse - they sometimes know more than the dr anyway! Or, find a new one, if you can. You are the patient and it is their job to explain things to you in a way you can understand.
ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I do not, but my mom did.  She used a C-Pap machine.  My dad called her Darth when she had it on.  It did help her sleep better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)