Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Summer is over. Long live the summer.

I love summer for lots of things. For the beach, for the pool, for the freedom of no homework and loose bedtimes. For grilling and picnics, for biking and lounging. Fall brings with it homework, sports practices, games and a much tighter schedule. It can be much more work to plan for a party, and you really can't have a spur of the moment get together when you've got to worry about getting the kids up at 6 the next day for school.

But, that doesn't mean ALL fun is done! There are still a lot of awesome fun family activities that you can do in the fall - especially outdoors, because in most of the US, it's cooling off. It's much more enjoyable to be out with your family for the day when you aren't so worried about melting into a puddle of sweat.

I've been known to take my kids to the theme park after school on Friday. It's open until 8 PM, which means that there's plenty of time for them to ride. It's not boiling hot, and so I'm not resentful when they call, "Just one more ride!". We grab a dinner to go on the way out of the park, and it's a wonderful way to spend a Friday evening at the end of the school week.

It's still warm enough here to visit the beach, and the end of the tourist season means a much less crowded time. We are able to enjoy the beach, visit many of the tourist attractions, and not have to battle for parking. It's kind of fun to go to the fudge factory, and take that old-time family photo.

Picnics outdoors in the fall are so much fun. More moderate temperatures lend themselves to eating outside, and if you visit a "you pick" orchard, you can have the benefit of bringing home fruit for the week ahead.

Football games, especially if you tailgate, can be a great family activity. Sitting outside with friends and family, tossing the football and enjoying tasty treats is a terrific way to spend the day with family and enjoy the beauty of the fall.

How do you and your family transition from the summer mentality in preparation for all that fall will bring?

©iStockphoto.com/omgimages

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
elasmimi
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM

There is no need for preparation, we are all ready for fall! It is our favorite time of year, the heat is no longer unbearable, and we can get outside and do more fun things, much more than in the summer.

mrswillie
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Clean out the closets & pack summer clothes away. Buy Mums and pumpkins at the store

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Quoting Madelaine:

Pumpkin patch!

We love our pumpkin patches.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Quoting .Angelica.:

we don't really prep for it.

We don't prep either, but I love watching the colors change.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Quoting Bmat:

Apple festivals, crafts shows,  picking apples

We have an apple festival this weekend.

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM

We love fall!  The transition is really easy for us. 

Meltopia529
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
we really don't prep too much for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM

we really dont do anything

samandryesmom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Someitmes in So Cal it makes it hard to transition as it is still so hot!!! We try to get ready by picking Apples at the local apple orchards and ranches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN