Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Help. Discipline . 4 year old boy

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay I am 22 years old and married, we have two boys one is 4 years old he will be 5 in November and a 9 month old who will 1 in December. Well I am having the hardest time with my oldest he used to be so well mannered, yes ma'am, please, thank you and so on when he was 2 and 3 years old and now he has turned into a mouthy 16 year old. He talks so nasty, and is so rude. He does a lot of whinning and I mean a lot. I have done everything from good charts and tree charts where you get an apple on the tree when he is good. None of it seems to work. I don't like to spank him anymore because he likes to drop to the ground and I don't want him to be scared of us. I take  away toys and take the tv.

I do not know what to do anymore. His mouth is terrible, his attitude is terrible, and manners have gone out the window. Any advice!

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Delirium003
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My 4yo son gets a time out on the steps or his toys are put in a box. He gets his toys back, one at a time, if he helps do something or I see him being nice to his brothers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Delirium003
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I think it's also the age too, because Logan (my 4 year old) back talks and gets snippy. He's recently developed that nice trait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluetick
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I belive it is a age thing along with maybe some issues of the other kids like needing attention or?????

Bluetick
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Good luck maybe you could spend some 1 on 1 time to get things back to normal

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM

My 4yr old son is the same way. I think its just the age. They are trying to see what they can and can not get away with. 

jennay420
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I am kind of goin thru same thing. I mean my son is going to be 4 in Dec and it seems like everything is a constant battle sometimes! I hate spanking him but I like the idea of giving one toy back at a time. Good idea! :)) I will have to try that!.

Lovemy2boys11
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Yeah I have no idea what to do to fix it. His mouth is literally like a 16 year old. SO mouthy!! I can't stand it, but time out doesn't work, neither does anything I have tried I even made an tree to put on the wall, and if he is good he gets to put an apple on the tree, as well as a good chart. I am trying everything. Idk what to do. Not liking this age very much lol.

Laylasmommy2993
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Do you think maybe putting him in timeout would work ? then maybe taking away his favorite toy or something ???

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

That happened to my oldest after his brother was born.

Definitely reward the good behavior!

Lovemy2boys11
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I do time out and that doesn't work with him, just continues the bad behavior. For example if I ay to him if you do that or talk like that again ill take your toy or put you in time out, he says okay. Sometims if he does something wrong he will just come tell me here you can take my tys away or ill go in time out. Like I won't even say anyting. He will just contine his bad behavior like he will get in whe its bed time or time to eat dinner andhe thinkgs by getting his toys taken away or get put in time out means he still doesn't have to eat or go to sleep and he stays not listening. I just don't know what to do anymore. He has some come back, smart alike behavior when ever I try and discipline him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN