Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

First Time Motherhood and The Lessons We Learn

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Oh, boy. Being a first time mom is awesome and great and so so spectacular - but it's also a steep learning curve for most of us. No matter how many books we read, how much babysitting we do, how many faux pregnancies and "egg babies" we care for in school - there's something life changing about actually becoming a mom yourself. There are some lessons for which all of the reading and baby sitting in the world cannot prepare you.

I learned, early on:

• To overestimate my time by double. If I thought I'd need an hour to get somewhere, I'd better plan on two.
  • To never ever ever go without a diaper bag.
  • And to make sure that the diaper bag was completely stocked - many, many times I needed to change a diaper, only to find a bag of wet cloth diapers and no fresh ones.
  • To pack the ar with extra wipes and a spare shirt for myself - I never knew when i'd need a fresh shirt
  • To make dinner whenever I had a spare moment - even if that was 10 a.m.
  • And to always, always use the bathroom before I left the house - even if I didn't think I need to do so 

I learned so much in those early months and years. I also learned that it wasn't wise or smart to judge another mother for making different choices, because she was quite possibly doing the very best that she could. My circumstances are much different than other mothers, and my judgemental thoughts and actions didn't always present me in the best light. I regret that now.

I don't regret spending lots and lots of time with my babies, though.

Tell us about your early experiences as a first-time mom. What were your favorite things about your experience? What would you have changed?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Focus_on_Nature

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Yes, I've definitely learned all those listed!

gacgbaker
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I think the biggest thing I learned as a mom was to not pile my plate with too much- it's hard as a mom not to do that, but by taking things off and making sure you have plenty of 'buffer' time to do things and just enjoy them not rush through them, you enjoy your kids much more.

LuvingRN
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I learned those listed along with sleep when the baby sleeps!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I agree with the sleep when baby is sleeping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The biggest thing I learned early on was, NEVER wake a sleeping baby!

I really didnt have issues as far as daily living when my boys were babies. I had been working (nanny and sitter) with babies and toddlers for a long time before I had my boys. In fact it was easier with my boys because I didnt have to follow someone elses parenting style.  

gacgbaker
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

The biggest thing I learned early on was, NEVER wake a sleeping baby!

I really didnt have issues as far as daily living when my boys were babies. I had been working (nanny and sitter) with babies and toddlers for a long time before I had my boys. In fact it was easier with my boys because I didnt have to follow someone elses parenting style.  

I like this one!  Never wake them!  

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I agree with all of these

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I agree with all of these

Bmat
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM

To always have a change of clothes for the baby and a change of shirt (at least) for me.

sukainah
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I learned all of these as well.  I'm not sure if I would change anything because everyone has to learn along the way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN