Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

First Time Motherhood and The Lessons We Learn

Posted by   + Show Post

Oh, boy. Being a first time mom is awesome and great and so so spectacular - but it's also a steep learning curve for most of us. No matter how many books we read, how much babysitting we do, how many faux pregnancies and "egg babies" we care for in school - there's something life changing about actually becoming a mom yourself. There are some lessons for which all of the reading and baby sitting in the world cannot prepare you.

I learned, early on:

• To overestimate my time by double. If I thought I'd need an hour to get somewhere, I'd better plan on two.
  • To never ever ever go without a diaper bag.
  • And to make sure that the diaper bag was completely stocked - many, many times I needed to change a diaper, only to find a bag of wet cloth diapers and no fresh ones.
  • To pack the ar with extra wipes and a spare shirt for myself - I never knew when i'd need a fresh shirt
  • To make dinner whenever I had a spare moment - even if that was 10 a.m.
  • And to always, always use the bathroom before I left the house - even if I didn't think I need to do so 

I learned so much in those early months and years. I also learned that it wasn't wise or smart to judge another mother for making different choices, because she was quite possibly doing the very best that she could. My circumstances are much different than other mothers, and my judgemental thoughts and actions didn't always present me in the best light. I regret that now.

I don't regret spending lots and lots of time with my babies, though.

Tell us about your early experiences as a first-time mom. What were your favorite things about your experience? What would you have changed?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Focus_on_Nature

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I def learned everything from the list. 

elasmimi
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I learned all those plus the fact that they grow up way too fast, and you need to enjoy every minute.

slw123
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Oh my goodness, my world was turned upside down, lol.   I learned so many things.  My favorite thing is how happy I am that I was able to be able to stay home with my babies.  I don't regret anything because I had that.

MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

The extra clothes for you & baby is a good one!! 

Rushn311
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Sleep when the baby sleeps for sure!!! I also did  the things you listed. Oh and store extra wipes/paper towels in the car.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Oh, it was so hectic. I was so afraid of "breaking" my son. lol. I loved when he started sleeping through the night.

swati88
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Indeed a good shared post,i liked all the share tips buddy.Thanks for sharing.Keep sharing and keep updating as like this in future too.
supermeof3
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM

One of the most important things that I learned was to let my husband help ;)  Your DH or partner may do things different than you, but that's okay.  Different doesn't always mean wrong.  If you constantly are telling them they are not doing something right, they are going to stop trying to help.

midnightcow49
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM

well i learned alot from loosing 3 babies before my fourth one that stayed, loosing babies are not fun, and if god does bless you with one to stay here on earth with you, that it is the greatest feeling of becoming a mom, more so then if god allows all to stay, postpartum well, not fun for some mom's, it hit's some of  the mom's harder than other'[s, from what has been told to me, mine was bearable, but worrisome, but due to dr's. care, i came through mine, as well alot of prayers as well helped me to.....all the list above happened as well...extra clothing, and never leave without diaper bag, extra milk or formula, etc. ......other than that i am very proud to say i am a stay at home mom, that dearly loves and very protective of my just diagnosed ADHD 5 year old son.......jeremiah's mom.....brenda...may God bless all whom read this, and may it touch your hearts to share with anyone you would like.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)