Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you think 'texting while parenting' is something to feel guilty about?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:47 AM
  • 24 Replies

'Texting While Parenting' Is Nothing to Feel Guilty About

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on October 1, 2012 

texting momCan you believe some mothers have the utter carelessness and audacity to send text messages while parenting?! I don't know about you ladies, but when my kids were tiny little butterballs who weren't so great at balancing yet, I never let them out of my sight for a second! In fact, I used to sort of squat down to their level and follow them all over the playground, waddling like some kind of deranged crab, so I'd always be right there to catch them if they took a tumble. Honestly gals, I just don't know why we even bother cutting the umbilical cord!

Okay, so obviously I'm kidding, but these hyper-helicopter parent types do exist -- and I blame THEM for the recent "study" based on anecdotal evidence which links the increasing use of smartphones (i.e., distracted, texting parents) with the also increasing rate of playground injuries (particularly to children under 5). But you know something? I don't buy it, and here's why:

Think back, for a moment, to your own childhood. Those misty, watercolored memories of falling off your tricycle into a cement planter and getting a big goose egg on your forehead because you weren't wearing a helmet (nobody wore helmets back then, NO-body). Or that time you learned that flying is not, in fact, as easy as jumping off a big high rock and flapping your arms like wings. Hell, when one of my aunts was a kid, she crashed her bike into some bushes and walked in the house with a giant stick protruding from one ear -- that's the stuff of family legend!

Anyway, my point is, parents today might find themselves slightly "distracted" from their kid's 80th trip down the curly slide, but we're still a lot more diligent than the "Go outside and play but make sure you come home for supper!" parents of yesterday. And somehow, either way, the human race manages to survive ...

Do you think 'texting while parenting' is something to feel guilty about?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I dont think it is something to feel guilty about.

Delirium003
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM
I agree

Quoting Madelaine:

I dont think it is something to feel guilty about.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you should feel guilty. My mom use to bring a book to read, in my opinion that's not much different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

yeah i see moms with their books or whatever...parents have been doing "something else" other than glued to their kids 100% for a long time...

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I don't think you should feel guilty. My mom use to bring a book to read, in my opinion that's not much different.

aneela
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

the only thing i would think is...if your child needs that extra attention for whatever reasons...just try to be aware...and not 100% checked out...

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

No I dont. However I have a friend who is CONSTANTLY on her phone and pays no attention to her kids, NONE. She is more worried about the other person on the other end of that phone then her kids. People like that I think should feel guitly, but moms and dads who send a few texts while watching their kids play are ok.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

agreed.

Quoting aneela:

yeah i see moms with their books or whatever...parents have been doing "something else" other than glued to their kids 100% for a long time...

Quoting rebeccasmly:

mommy201183
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Well not if your kids are older, however if their young such as being an infant on up til age 3 where kids are the most active, I believe that texting can wait until kids are settled, or have their nap time, I have 2 school aged kids thatare in school during the day and a one year old, and he is so busy, I constantly run after him all the time, it'sso fun though to watch how active and fun he is, sometimes I can barely get to my cell phone because I'm everywhere in the house.

Miss Neyhave a nice day

isabellah
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The article in the WSJ was heart breaking especially about the boy who drowned while the person watching him was texting.  Texting wasn't around much when my boys were little although I was reading on the smartphone a lot and drove them crazy.  Watching children under 5 especially boys is a real challenge and I believe that anyone who gets their boys to five without any serious mishaps deserves some major recognition because they were working really hard even if it looks as if all they did was sit around. 

elasmimi
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Absolutely not! You are so right, when we went out to play, there was no supervision, just be home for supper or you eat cold food. I have a friend who won't let her 8 y/o go out into the FENCED IN back yard alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)