Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you think 'texting while parenting' is something to feel guilty about?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Texting While Parenting' Is Nothing to Feel Guilty About

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on October 1, 2012 

texting momCan you believe some mothers have the utter carelessness and audacity to send text messages while parenting?! I don't know about you ladies, but when my kids were tiny little butterballs who weren't so great at balancing yet, I never let them out of my sight for a second! In fact, I used to sort of squat down to their level and follow them all over the playground, waddling like some kind of deranged crab, so I'd always be right there to catch them if they took a tumble. Honestly gals, I just don't know why we even bother cutting the umbilical cord!

Okay, so obviously I'm kidding, but these hyper-helicopter parent types do exist -- and I blame THEM for the recent "study" based on anecdotal evidence which links the increasing use of smartphones (i.e., distracted, texting parents) with the also increasing rate of playground injuries (particularly to children under 5). But you know something? I don't buy it, and here's why:

Think back, for a moment, to your own childhood. Those misty, watercolored memories of falling off your tricycle into a cement planter and getting a big goose egg on your forehead because you weren't wearing a helmet (nobody wore helmets back then, NO-body). Or that time you learned that flying is not, in fact, as easy as jumping off a big high rock and flapping your arms like wings. Hell, when one of my aunts was a kid, she crashed her bike into some bushes and walked in the house with a giant stick protruding from one ear -- that's the stuff of family legend!

Anyway, my point is, parents today might find themselves slightly "distracted" from their kid's 80th trip down the curly slide, but we're still a lot more diligent than the "Go outside and play but make sure you come home for supper!" parents of yesterday. And somehow, either way, the human race manages to survive ...

Do you think 'texting while parenting' is something to feel guilty about?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
hunterskysmom
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I have a 2 yr old and i dont think its wrong to send a quick text but i do keep a eye on my dd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I agree this

Quoting aneela:

yeah i see moms with their books or whatever...parents have been doing "something else" other than glued to their kids 100% for a long time...

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I don't think you should feel guilty. My mom use to bring a book to read, in my opinion that's not much different.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetlyblissful
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I don't think it's something to feel guilty about.  But really common-sense should be used.  Like if you are watching a little one at a busy playground with bigger kids, put your phone away and the make sure your child is safe.  You shouldn't have to feel guilty unless you weren't watching when you should have  been.

BabyTeki
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I can pay more attention while texting then I could if I was reading a book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Nope not at all my dd who is 6 plays on the playground with me looking out the door when im babysitting a baby sometimes I take the baby out in the stroller and watch my dd play but I always have my phone on me why because I can just look up and watch her since the table is right there. Or I can watch her from my porch while the baby is napping

terri76
by Terriny on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM
No reason at all to feel guilty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Not at all.

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

o.O

I'm supposed to be outside with him every minute??

LOL

I'm VERY old school in this department.  "Yell if you need me" is usually what I say when he heads out to play.

As far as texting, I dont see where it would be an issue.

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM

It depends on the situation.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Nope. I text while at the park, BUT Im also playing with my son and going down slides with him and taking pictures of him. Besides the time he slipped and fell and got a gash in his head my mom was RIGHT THERE and BARELY missed grabbing him before he smacked his head off the corner of the slide. Following them OBVIOUSLY isnt going to work.
oh and BTW the author if this article is older then 28 My sister is 28 today and we wore bike helmets from the time we first got on one. So we have no clue what goose eggs on a head from falling off bikes is like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)